Making sure everyone eats, please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

koko93s

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello!

I am running into a problem I think.

I currently have in a 55g tank:
1 Molly
5 Angelicus Loaches
1 Hi Fin Pleco (6")
1 Gold Nugget Pleco (2-3")

My problem is:

I'm trying to make sure everyone eats. The molly is fine as he is the only non bottom feeder.

Whatever I put in the tank, the loaches devour....Zucchini, frozen bloodworms, shrimp pellets.

The GN Pleco doesn't seem to be interested in algae wafers and my Hi-Fin seems to have turned off of them of late (they sit uneaten in the tank).

I'm not sure if either pleco is getting enough food. How do I make sure some food remains for them after the 5 little pigs have gotten full (which seems like never). I can't even put food inside the GN's hiding spot because the she doesn't seem to mind the loaches being in there and she does not defend the food source or her home.

Thanks!

You have to put your food items for the pleco's in after all the lights in the tank and room are off. Try feeding softened deshelled peas, lightly softened zucchini or cucumber, and maybe another brand of algae wafers. Also put them in a couple different areas/sides of the tank. And don't quit trying if they don't eat the items the first couple of times. My pleco's in different tanks all like peas the best followed by zucchini.

You have to put your food items for the pleco's in after all the lights in the tank and room are off. Try feeding softened deshelled peas, lightly softened zucchini or cucumber, and maybe another brand of algae wafers. Also put them in a couple different areas/sides of the tank. And don't quit trying if they don't eat the items the first couple of times. My pleco's in different tanks all like peas the best followed by zucchini.

:ROFLMAO: I had to learn this today...I put in an algae wafer by the pleco and boy it was like a feeding frenzy over 1 algae wafer...I couldn't believe it...

I've tried feeding after dark, the 5 little pigs still eat it all, they don't ever seem to rest and just eat a lot. I've tried feeding both sides of the tank, that doesn't work. I'm thinking of putting food in for the GN and putting a strainer over her cave so that they can't get in for a bit. I'm so worried!!!!

Loaches have 3 goals in their life... eat, eat, and eat some more :devilish: !!! Have you tried slicing zucchini and softening it for a few seconds in the microwave? I have veggie clips and I take several of the thin 1/4" slices and hang them around the tank. I have a 220g with yo-yo loaches, whiptail cats, otos, and pleco's and I've seen the pleco hanging on pieces in the morning. I've noticed my yo-yo's aren't that fond of zucchini, or maybe it's because I hang the pieces. Now they go nuts for peas, which I feed them during the day for the loaches and cory's. You just have to try some different approaches. I don't know about putting a strainer over the cave, it could freak the pleco out too. But if you can't find another way you may have to try.

Loaches have 3 goals in their life... eat, eat, and eat some more :devilish: !!! Have you tried slicing zucchini and softening it for a few seconds in the microwave? I have veggie clips and I take several of the thin 1/4" slices and hang them around the tank. I have a 220g with yo-yo loaches, whiptail cats, otos, and pleco's and I've seen the pleco hanging on pieces in the morning. I've noticed my yo-yo's aren't that fond of zucchini, or maybe it's because I hang the pieces. Now they go nuts for peas, which I feed them during the day for the loaches and cory's. You just have to try some different approaches. I don't know about putting a strainer over the cave, it could freak the pleco out too. But if you can't find another way you may have to try.

My wife calls the 5 loaches our little doggies cause they're ALWAYS digging and sniffing and eating. I blame them for my nitrate levels :D.

The loaches eat the Zucchini!!!! My wife called me tonight after she put it in and said the loaches devoured it, all 5 of them sitting around it like a dinner table and chewing it up. A good 1.5-2" dia slice and they inhaled it and they're still young! The biggest is only 2" himself. Now, she didn't see it from the start, so there's a chance the pleco(s) did most of the damage, but she seems pretty confident it was the loaches.

I'll try putting two slices in on opposite sides, one by the loach house and one by the GN's cave. I think my Hi-Fin is just taking a break from eating, he seems very healthy and cruises the tank once it's lights out.

The GN is still acclimating as well, she's only been in the tank for 1-1/2 weeks cause my QT tank crashed(no clue why) 3 days after I got her and had to chance putting her in the community or risk losing her to ammonia.

I wish she'd protect her cave, she lets everyone in, including my lone molly that has moved in with her. I posted this pic in another thread but posting it here again as I think it's cute :popcorn: (the molly is actually under the slate with her, not just swimming by, he lives in there with her).

Attachments

• silver&stella.jpg
    silver&stella.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 102
That's why I put a few slices in the tank, plus mine is a 220g, that way everyone has a chance to get some. I watched one of my yo-yo's gorge on some peas once, it ate so much it had to stop and just laid on a piece of DW for a couple hours afterwards. It's funny how some fish buddy up and become the odd couple. It is a cute picture!

Are you sure that's a Molly? It looks just like my male Australian rainbow fish.

Attachments

• image-1738117281.jpg
    image-1738117281.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 70
  • image-2697376738.jpg
    image-2697376738.jpg
    161.1 KB · Views: 80
  • image-2380840074.jpg
    image-2380840074.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 69
Yea, that's not a Molly. I agree that it's a rainbow. He would probably really like some friends.

The fins say australian rainbow, but the bottom picture looks like a Turquoise. That fish is 1/2 turquoise and 1/2 creamy maybe silverish. Dark Blue on top half, lighter color lower half.

It's a nice looking fish.

As for the topic, the smaller fish and bottom feeders will usually get some food.

Wroberson said:
The fins say australian rainbow, but the bottom picture looks like a Turquoise. That fish is 1/2 turquoise and 1/2 creamy maybe silverish. Dark Blue on top half, lighter color lower half.

It's a nice looking fish.

You talking to Koko or me? Lol sorry I'm confused. If directed towards me, thank you! My rainbows are an awesome tealish color on top and fade into a silvery cream color. His fins are slightly yellowish and are starting to get a reddish hue on outer edge as he gets bigger.

If directed at Koko, forget I said anything xP lol

koko93s said:
Hello!

I am running into a problem I think.

I currently have in a 55g tank:
1 Molly
5 Angelicus Loaches
1 Hi Fin Pleco (6")
1 Gold Nugget Pleco (2-3")

My problem is:

I'm trying to make sure everyone eats. The molly is fine as he is the only non bottom feeder.

Whatever I put in the tank, the loaches devour....Zucchini, frozen bloodworms, shrimp pellets.

The GN Pleco doesn't seem to be interested in algae wafers and my Hi-Fin seems to have turned off of them of late (they sit uneaten in the tank).

I'm not sure if either pleco is getting enough food. How do I make sure some food remains for them after the 5 little pigs have gotten full (which seems like never). I can't even put food inside the GN's hiding spot because the she doesn't seem to mind the loaches being in there and she does not defend the food source or her home.

Thanks!

One simple answer try it and I garuntee you get results and see your pleco munching away! Chop a big slice of cucumber off slice it into four long ways then put it in a cup and pour boiling water out of the kettle leave it for five mins then drain the water and chuck it in your tank the pleco will come out as soon as the smell hits his nostrils :)

Wiggles24 said:
What kind of rainbow is that? Turquoise? Is that what it's called? I would love to have some!!!

Not sure if you're talking to me, but I got my rainbows for free at my lfs and they were labeled simply Australian Rainbows fish. I know there are tons of hybrids.

Back
Top Bottom