Malasian Trumpet Snails?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkA123

Aquarium Advice Freak
As many of you know from my other posts I'm going to get a 12 gallon eclipse with 3 Albino corys and 1 female Berta. I'm using sand substrate and live plants. For sure 4-6 marimo balls and some other live plants. So should I get malasian trumpet snails to sift the sand to prevent anaerobic pockets from forming? I've heard they breed like crazy and I don't want my tank filled with snails! If you guys say I should get them, should I buy like 3 so they'll do their thing and multiply? Or if they don't breed like crazy should just get however many I want to have and put them in? Also do they eat plants or will my Betta or cores eat them? Thanks! And also I don't want them in my filter! If it matters I feed my Berta a mixture of flakes and pellets and the cories algae wafers. Do they really dig in the sand enough to prevent anaerobic pockets? Are there any other benefits with them or any other bad things I should know about them thanks!

Last edited:
First off...you don't buy them. Your LFS will give them to you free of charge :). Second, as with all snails, you can control their population somewhat by limiting the amount of food they have. Don't overfeed and you won't have this trouble. Third, MTS usually are not all over the place. They usually mill about in the substrate. Of course you might see some occasionally on the glass, but most of the population will be foraging around in the substrate hidden from view.

They do not eat plants, Bettas wont eat them...their shells are too hard, and they should not be a problem for your filter.

If you see alot of MTSs all of a sudden, it is a sign that you have been overfeeding. They are easy to remove and trap if you have too many.

Lastly, MTSs can be a gauge of your water quality. Because you don't and should not see them so often, if you see them trying to escape the water...there is some bad stuff going on. :p

Back
Top Bottom