Malaysian drift wood.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wildone

Aquarium Advice Regular
So has anyone bought Malaysian drift wood from amazon? The reviews are great, I need to boil it when I get it, but for how long? I'm getting this for my 2 bristle nose plecos, for some fiber. 55g tank.

I bought some from an LFS and boiled it a couple of times for maybe 15-20 minutes each. Mostly to remove the tannins. Of the various types of DW, I did that Malaysian sinks pretty easily.

Def soak it and boil it, I failed to do so and my tank is still tinted 2 months later:/

Def soak it and boil it, I failed to do so and my tank is still tinted 2 months later:/

I have a piece that has been in my tank for several months and the water is clear. However the water is slightly tinted when removed during water changes (in a white bucket). a little more so early on but even less now. The tank has a black background and black substrate, so if there is any tinting in the water I don't notice it.
Yes definitely boil and soak now.

I have a good size piece that I put in my 10g, I boiled it for it for 15 min, than cold soaked for a half hour, water is crystal clear, it gets tricky boiling a 3 foot stick, maybe next time I'll bring it to a seafood restaurant and ask to use a lobster pot!

One trick people use (providing the piece will fit) is to stick it the toilet tank. Wedge it in good and will stay submerged plus it's constantly getting clean water to help leech the tannins

I have a ton of it in my tanks. The best method I use is to soak it in hot water for a few days. Never had I boiled it the hot water from the tap has worked for me. These are my latest 3 pieces that I have added to my new tank. They were all just soaked in hot water.

Attachments

• ResizedImage951386346748698.jpg
    ResizedImage951386346748698.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 77
I have a 4 foot PC soaking in a trash can now for my 125 I'm setting up.. If you can't fit in a pot pour boiling water over it in the tub , then either soak it in the tub or a trash can for a couple of weeks and the longer the better..

I really appreciate all of you, such great advice, I don't know how big it will be so the different ways to soak it is awesome.

If the tannins tinting the water bother you (the fish really don't care) you can use filter carbon or purigen to clear it out.

Carbon filtration and floss for tannins. I read that although some believe that tannins do not harm fish they are actually good for them.

Also if the buffering capacity of your water is low you could get a slight drop in ph but chances are minimal. Also read that tannins makes it ever so slightly more difficult for plants to absorb light but again how much is probably minimal. Just thought I'd mention those points. Someone may add or correct.

Defo carbon though.

Back
Top Bottom