Malaysian Trumpet Snail Experiment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frostshine

Aquarium Advice Activist
I got three MTS from PetCo today, and put them in a one gallon quarantine with a sponge filter. I'm going out of town tomorrow for a day or two, and then i want to monitor how much they breed. First off, how long are they pregnant? I've heard they are livebearers. Also, how much do they eat? I will eventually put them into my ten gallon, and keep the pop. in check with the lettuce method. Lastly, I'm not clear on how big they get. Mine are about a centimeter long, or a little less. Is that it? Haha, if it is, I'll need a lot more to aerate my gravel.

If enough food is available they can breed monthly up to around 70 babies. Who knows how much they eat but the more food the more babies. The largest MTS's I've seen in my tanks were over 1/2" long.

Oh, okay. For some reason I was thinking they were as big as other snails. (1 in.) Also, have you had any experience with using lettuce to keep the population in check? And do people ever buy them? I'd try to give them to my lfs, but I'm not sure they'll take them.

I don't ever try to control them as I don't feel I have so many I need to. And in my 220g planted I have Angelicus loaches who keep all snails in check.

Ohhh, okay. Will guppies, neons, or zebra danios eat some of the babies?

No they won't. Many types of loaches, goldfish, and puffers are all snail eaters.

Unfortunately, it is a ten gallon, and soon to be stocked just right. (I think...) I have 5 guppies, 4 zebras, and 2 neons, though I think one is about to pass. (All of their companions passed.) I also have gravel, and only fake plants. So I don't have the room or ability to get loaches, puffers, or goldfish. Haha. So I guess I'll need some lettuce in case. Also, I have some weird brown spots on one of my plants (fabric material). Can you help me identify it and figure out if the snails will eat it? I'll post a pic.

About 3 months. Ugh, I can't find my iPod. I'm on my phone now, which doesn't take photos. :(

Does the spot rub off easily between your fingers? If so you could be getting diatoms as they are common in new set ups but it's odd it would have taken this long to show up. I'm just guessing without a photo.

Does the spot rub off easily between your fingers? If so you could be getting diatoms as they are common in new set ups but it's odd it would have taken this long to show up. I'm just guessing without a photo.

I had my diatoms disappear shortly after cycling and then they reappeared a few months later...

I have an under stocked 175g tank with sand substrate. To avoid the 'gas pocket' problem, I threw in about 10 x 1cm mts in there.
Now my mts are going nuts. They are always first to the food- especially veggies. They swarm it, and my young plecos don't get a look in. If I don't feed the tank for a day, they start munching on my plants. I another tank the tiny baby mts ( small as a pin head) got into my breeder net and ate my Cory eggs).
I don't know whether I want them now or not.

Hmmm, haven't tried. I don't really favor the feeling of being nipped all along my arm as I reach in... Haha.

This is what it looks like. It is actually on most of my plants.

image-1720572686.jpg

image-1276895654.jpg

image-1276238522.jpg

I have an under stocked 175g tank with sand substrate. To avoid the 'gas pocket' problem, I threw in about 10 x 1cm mts in there.
Now my mts are going nuts. They are always first to the food- especially veggies. They swarm it, and my young plecos don't get a look in. If I don't feed the tank for a day, they start munching on my plants. I another tank the tiny baby mts ( small as a pin head) got into my breeder net and ate my Cory eggs).

Ouch. I'm sorry. I would get loaches to fix that problem, but as I said, I don't have room.

I didn t have any luck with the lettuce method but algae wafers or zucchini work pretty good.

I got my pleco's and whiptail cats used to eating veggies off veggie clips hung high up in the tanks. I may get a couple MTS if I leave the veggies in through the night but all mine are used to eating during the day and actually are often waiting close by at feeding time waiting for me to put the clips in.

I can't use algae wafers tho as they do get swarmed BUT if you put algae wafers in a clear glass jar during the day, lay the jar on the substrate on it's side, you can let the MTS fill it up, the gently right the jar and remove from the water. Get the snails out and put it with the wafer back in. You can trap tons of MTS that way.

I can't use algae wafers tho as they do get swarmed BUT if you put algae wafers in a clear glass jar during the day, lay the jar on the substrate on it's side, you can let the MTS fill it up, the gently right the jar and remove from the water. Get the snails out and put it with the wafer back in. You can trap tons of MTS that way.

Hmmm.. Okay, thanks. I hope the fish don't take a liking to algae wafers, though, haha. Do people buy them much?

Those are diatoms. Limit lighting to 6 hours daily. Have you had them before?

Okay. And no, I have not. I'm at school from 7:30-6 though, which is an issue. Luckily, I have a long weekend and so I will do that.

Back
Top Bottom