Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-12-2012, 02:44 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Malaysian trumpet snails

Hey guys, so I've heard multiple reviews on these little critters. Most of them tell me that they are excellent for any aquarium; they aerate the gravel, they're a great clean up crew, and they don't disturb plants. However, they're notorious for reproducing rather quickly if there is a surplus amount of food. What are your guys experiences/input? Thanks!

Old 08-12-2012, 08:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have some for my sand. They multiple rather fast.

Old 08-12-2012, 09:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Personally I like my MTS's. They do help clean and aerate the substrate, they can multiply fast, but not long ago I read an article on them that talked about their rate of breeding. It said that they breed faster when there is ample to excess food available. In conditions where there is not alot of food breeding slows considerably. Problem is what aquarium doesn't have algae, detris, dying plant materal, and left over food? Not mine and I have a 220g! Thing is you don't see them often through the day, they mostly come out in the late evening, after my halides are off and only the T5 HO bulbs are on. They do their best work at night when you don't have to see them.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:25 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivercats
Personally I like my MTS's. They do help clean and aerate the substrate, they can multiply fast, but not long ago I read an article on them that talked about their rate of breeding. It said that they breed faster when there is ample to excess food available. In conditions where there is not alot of food breeding slows considerably. Problem is what aquarium doesn't have algae, detris, dying plant materal, and left over food? Not mine and I have a 220g! Thing is you don't see them often through the day, they mostly come out in the late evening, after my halides are off and only the T5 HO bulbs are on. They do their best work at night when you don't have to see them.
I don't mind seeing them at all actually. However, do they have a negative effect to an aquarium? For example, will they eat up all the algae for other bottom feeders?
Old 08-14-2012, 12:39 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

My tank is so big I don't have that problem, plus look at thier size, even a ton of them are not going to make that big a dent in algae. They eat other things too, detris, left over food, any goodies they can find.
Old 08-14-2012, 12:51 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Assassin snails will keep them in check.

David

Tags
malaysia, malaysian, malaysian trumpet snails, snail, snails

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com