Malaysian Trumpet Snails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jetstorm369

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys, so I'm debating whether or not I should have them in my tank. I know they're great for aerating the gravel and getting rid of algae, but I also know that they tend to reproduce quite quickly and will take over the tank. What are your guys' experiences and advice? Thanks!

Jetstorm369 said:
Hey guys, so I'm debating whether or not I should have them in my tank. I know they're great for aerating the gravel and getting rid of algae, but I also know that they tend to reproduce quite quickly and will take over the tank. What are your guys' experiences and advice? Thanks!

I keep planted tanks and I will always keep them in my tanks. They do not eat your plants, aerate soil, and generally do good stuff for you.

They will reproduce out of control if you overfeed your tank. But this may well serve as a great indicator for you. Also for their indication purpose, they generally burrow all day and then come out at night. If you see them during e day, the may mean something is a little off with your tank.

I'd say get them, but this is also coming from the guy who will tell people that Rashorn and Pond deserve a spot in your aquarim as they serve roles too.

I think snails are a good thing to have in a tank. It sounds harsh but if mts over run your tank then it's sorta your fault because it usually means u haven't been cleaning your tank well enough. If you see mts trying to leave the water you kno you are abit overdue on pwc so they're a great indicator as mentioned above.

I would say no because if you make a mistake it would make your tank look unsightly.

Jetstorm369 said:

I say go for it. If the mts does over run ur tank, just use an air tube and siphon the little ones out of ur tank. It's real easy to get it back under control.

What if you have clown loaches.. I've wanted MTS as they stir up the sand but I know clowns eat snails. I also know the MTS has a much harder shell than mystery snails, so would there be any issues?

I think they are good for a tank, and it gives you a reason to create a dwarf puffer tank if they get out of hand. The little ones can be used as food. ;)

MTS snails have too hard a shell and the configuration of the shell makes it so loaches can't get them. I have yo-yo loaches and they can't get them, big or small. Pond snails are definitely a meal for them if you ever get them in your tank accidently. Another thing is that clown loaches get big. In a smaller tank, less than 100g you are better off with smaller loaches like yo-yo's.

I had them in my tank off a plant and they were every where. Used to spend ages trying to fish them out. I ended up striping the tank down to get rid of them all as I didn't like them

I don't know what's up with your yo yos, but all my loaches other then kuhlis have enjoyed eating mts. Mine don't have any trouble with them.

Back
Top Bottom