Male and female bettas together?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dburk9

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Bettas are one of my favorite fish and very unique individuals. I have three females in a tank and another tank with a male and two females. I have had no problem with the male and females together. Was wondering what others think based on opinions and personal experiences?

My opinion and experience is that the only time two bettas can safely co-exist is briefling during breeding or if there's something in the way to stop them killing each other.

Well you know, there are no tanks in nature so out in the wild the males and females mingled. Do they stay in separate territories when not actively breeding? That's what I heard, but personalities are the best thing about his breed, each fish is unique. You have a sweet male, so far. I say test the waters. (Ha awesome punnage)

Depends on the tank size IME but I found that if you keep a sorority of females the ganged up on the male and he came off worse! But I personally think that bettas are just 1 of them fish where each 1 is different from the next so I would say depends on the fish, tank size and how well planted/decorated it is.

They usually all swim around freely with no "territories". There is occasional chasing but have had no nipping that i have noticed or fin damage. My male is very calm so id say that helps alot

dburk9 said:
They usually all swim around freely with no "territories". There is occasional chasing but have had no nipping that i have noticed or fin damage. My male is very calm so id say that helps alot

Out of curiosity what size tank do toy have them in? I've not tried it but have heard, as the other poster stated, if the tank is large & well planted/decorated it sometimes works. I've not wanted to try it with my Bettas because I don't think my 46g is big enough & I know a couple of my females are really nasty :-o

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom