Male and female fighters....! What else can live with them

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
shellieca said:
Definitely watch how much you are feeding them. I feed mine pellets that don't sink & when I feed I drop the pellets one at time making sure each fish gets their fair share & it means no food wasted. Mine will keep eating as long as i keep dropping the pellets so i limit them to 4 each, i feed once a day with one day of fasting. Every time I do a water change I at least do a light vacuuming that will get the loose stuff off the top of the gravel, then do a heavier vacuuming once a week where I push the vacuum into the gravel getting the stuff that settles deeper into it.

I will go and get some pellets tomorrow. Is there only one sort of pellet to feed them. Just to make sure i get the right ones. I have a manual vacuum but i think i will invest in a better one.

Claretmaz said:
I will go and get some pellets tomorrow. Is there only one sort of pellet to feed them. Just to make sure i get the right ones. I have a manual vacuum but i think i will invest in a better one.

I use Top Fin Betta pellets but don't know if they're available where you are. Many people feed Hikari brand, when you go to the fish section usually there's the Betta section, you'll see what's available. Whatever you choose keep in mind a lot of them swell when soaked so it may expand in their stomach which is all the more reason to be careful how much you feed. They say a fishes stomach is only as big as their eye so not very big. Siamese are notorious for not knowing when to quit eating so it's up to you keep an eye on them. A lot of people will feed a little bit 2-3 times a day, you'll see what works best for you & your fish.

shellieca said:
I use Top Fin Betta pellets but don't know if they're available where you are. Many people feed Hikari brand, when you go to the fish section usually there's the Betta section, you'll see what's available. Whatever you choose keep in mind a lot of them swell when soaked so it may expand in their stomach which is all the more reason to be careful how much you feed. They say a fishes stomach is only as big as their eye so not very big. Siamese are notorious for not knowing when to quit eating so it's up to you keep an eye on them. A lot of people will feed a little bit 2-3 times a day, you'll see what works best for you & your fish.

Ok brilliant. I will see what i can find tomorrow. My cousin has fighters and the male spends a lot of time lying on the gravel. Is that normal..?

Claretmaz said:
Ok brilliant. I will see what i can find tomorrow. My cousin has fighters and the male spends a lot of time lying on the gravel. Is that normal..?

Mine tends to do that a lot too. He also loves to wedge himself into the tightest spaces which scares me bc I'm not sure if he can get out.

tarpon said:
Mine tends to do that a lot too. He also loves to wedge himself into the tightest spaces which scares me bc I'm not sure if he can get out.

Ah good. He asked me to ask you. The 3 females in mine are keeping away from my male.

Claretmaz said:
Ah good. He asked me to ask you. The 3 females in mine are keeping away from my male.

He still spends majority of his time swimming during the day tho. The betas I've seen in bowls tend to do nothing But sit and look "depressed"

tarpon said:
He still spends majority of his time swimming during the day tho. The betas I've seen in bowls tend to do nothing But sit and look "depressed"

Mine does a lot of swimming but does spend a bit of his time on the gravel or hiding somewhere. I do worry when he just lies there though ha

Claretmaz said:
Mine does a lot of swimming but does spend a bit of his time on the gravel or hiding somewhere. I do worry when he just lies there though ha

One of my males likes to "sit" gravel level quite a bit, the other does it some but both are very active with the swimming. My females do the same thing, nothing to worry about typically.

Claretmaz said:

Well that depends. If they are too cold or their tanks too small or the water conditions are not the best then that can cause them to lay down quite a lot.

Apologies for my earlier post I mis read and thought you had a 400l tank. I agree don't get any more fish. Sorry once again.

fonze said:
Apologies for my earlier post I mis read and thought you had a 400l tank. I agree don't get any more fish. Sorry once again.

I wont be doing. They are happy in there. I have a 40 gallon tank as well which is new but cycling away.. :)

Does anyone know how big the Fighters will grow...??

Back
Top Bottom