Male betta compatible fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Something that might be worth trying is to let him hang out in the tank only when you can observe him. This way you can break up fights and decide if he will be compatible with every one and if all goes well. But something to remember is that when bettas go into a community some fin nipping is to be expected. It's how they establish dominance. If you don't want any at all then you should defiantly get him his own tank.

They'll usually leave snails alone. Bettababe is right about their personalities, some are less aggressive than others I have most of my bettas with other fish, but some have to be by themselves. I have one that I call "King of the shrimp" because he hates all fish, but doesn't mind shrimp, so he is in a tank with some giant ghost shrimp I have. I also have one that will gobble up shrimp as fast as you can pour them into the tank. I have seen very few that will tolerate guppies though. Guppies are slow AND have big fins, just too easy of a target. I have some bettas with some other tetras and they all usually at some point decide to be a bully, but the tetras are so much faster that the betta can't really do any harm before he gives up. How many guppies do you have? You might be able to put them in the tank the betta is in now if everyone doesn't get along.

Something that might be worth trying is to let him hang out in the tank only when you can observe him. This way you can break up fights and decide if he will be compatible with every one and if all goes well. But something to remember is that when bettas go into a community some fin nipping is to be expected. It's how they establish dominance. If you don't want any at all then you should defiantly get him his own tank.

Good idea... I might try that - thanks

They'll usually leave snails alone. Bettababe is right about their personalities, some are less aggressive than others I have most of my bettas with other fish, but some have to be by themselves. I have one that I call "King of the shrimp" because he hates all fish, but doesn't mind shrimp, so he is in a tank with some giant ghost shrimp I have. I also have one that will gobble up shrimp as fast as you can pour them into the tank. I have seen very few that will tolerate guppies though. Guppies are slow AND have big fins, just too easy of a target. I have some bettas with some other tetras and they all usually at some point decide to be a bully, but the tetras are so much faster that the betta can't really do any harm before he gives up. How many guppies do you have? You might be able to put them in the tank the betta is in now if everyone doesn't get along.

Gosh sounds like they are all different! I'm going to look at some fish tanks at the weekend and give it some thought. Thanks again :)

Back
Top Bottom