Male betta in Community fish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They survive because they have literal acres to swim in, not just a foot or two of space. And when breeding in captivity the females are often the more aggressive of the two, heard plenty of males get torn to shreds during the process. I've seen people try mixing genders over the years, it never works out. Heck, even sorority tanks can go south really quick.

I've seen bettas destroy ither fish, I've seen them destroyed by fish like platies and neons. It depends on a lot of factors, including ones you won't even know about until you put it to the test. This is why a lot of people don't recommend it.

I totally agree! I got a question for you, Would you ever try putting a female with your male in your 15 gallon? Some say you can. Others say you shouldn't. I just wounder how these fish survive in natural habitat without becoming extinct from killing off each other. I know it's a much bigger world to them but, they gotta cross paths sometimes. I'm just curious if you would. I'm still not sure about it yet.
I don't think I would only because I don't have a back up tank for the female if it didn't work out. That being said I would be open to trying it with this particular male. He hasn't shown any aggressiveness to any of his tank mates and generally seems pretty docile. I thin he would be a good candidate for a test.

They survive because they have literal acres to swim in, not just a foot or two of space. And when breeding in captivity the females are often the more aggressive of the two, heard plenty of males get torn to shreds during the process. I've seen people try mixing genders over the years, it never works out. Heck, even sorority tanks can go south really quick.

I've seen bettas destroy ither fish, I've seen them destroyed by fish like platies and neons. It depends on a lot of factors, including ones you won't even know about until you put it to the test. This is why a lot of people don't recommend it.
I know mine is an experiment. if it works it works. I just wanted to see for myself. And I'm doing everything I can to try to make it happen. Putting Betta's in last helps alot! I wanta get more cover in my tank and I'm working on that. I hear lots of different things about Betta's and I just find it hard to believe alot of things. Knowing how they live in the wild. Just weird. But it explains why they're colors are not full color in the wild. I just want to experiment a few things. I will always have a back up plain. After Christmas I'll be getting a bigger tank and get the planted tank thing done pat. When I do that, I'll be getting a female and put them in at the same time. I will record on here updated as much as I can. Just so people get the input on, how I did what, when, and how. It will be interesting to record it all. Some people my frown on it. But alot will what to see. I know I do. Thank you for your input, it's good to know. Don't worry, I keep a very close eye on my tanks.

Back
Top Bottom