Male betta tank mates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missgingersnap

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a male betta in a 3 gallon tank with 2 little pepper cories. I want to move them my ten gallon tank. What else can go in there with them?

i've got a male halfmoon with peppered cories as well and ghost shrimp too. I also have a crowntail in a 25 with some danios and platies. i don't know how well they'd do in a 10 gallon because PorkCop pretty much keeps to his little clay pot (his home) but even when he's out and about he isn't aggressive to them.

There might be good reason to disagree with me here, but I've had great luck with bala sharks mixed with a betta and everything else I've ever put with them.

Aggression...
They don't pick on other fish that I've noticed except each other. Their fast movements don't seem to disturb the betta. He actually chases them out of his area of the tank if they loiter.

Size...
I've seen a million warnings that these things get BIG, but mine never do. I kept them for over a year in a 20 gal tank and they didn't change size. I currently have 3 in my 40 gal tank and they've barely grown in the 8 months they've been there (and the slight growth was almost immediate, then stopped).

Must group...
I've had the best luck with 4 of them in my 20 gal. I started with 4 in my 40 gal, but one died (all other fish in the tank unaffected). The 3 are getting along great. Just 1 or 2 will cause them to be skiddish and nervous all the time.

Putting them in a smaller tank "stunts" there growth and isn't good for them. That doesn't change the fact that they will eventually grow to their full potential.

The thing about glolight danios is they are fast swimmers and might stress the betta. Oto cats are a pretty safe choice, or one more cory. Really if your cories are the same as mine you can expect the females to get nearly 4 inches. at least mine is.

OK...I guess I have to get over the swimming buddy thing. loli'll just stick to the cories and maybe a couple of shrimps.

I've got two male platies in with my crowntail and all seem happy. I've heard pros and cons about bettas in with platies. It seems the three guys have similar personalities and they all tend to go their seperate ways. When they happen across each other its more like dogs doing their sniffing thing. Occasionally the crowntail will flare and bump noses without much energy behind it. It's more like quit bugging me than get the ---- outta here.

I guess it's kind of a trial and error thing then. I really want to keep my neons in there with him but I guess they get nippy although I have them with angels,guppies and a gourami now and they don't bother any of them at all.

I would be worried about the angels and guppies (especially if they are the fancy kind). It's my understanding that the bigger fin fish are often seen as other bettas. I think you're right on with the cories and shrimp. In my tank, I only have the two platies and two otos. Otos are definately okay because they are in a different part of the tank and can easily get away.

Well, I've decided to keep my little school of neons in the 10 gallon and put Einstein(my betta) in and watch carefully. If all goes well, my 2 pepper cories go in there too and they'll be a big happy family. lol If things don't work out then the neons are going in the 48 gallon leaving just the betta and the cories in the 10 gallon. :)

I have my male beta (Blue) his name is stinky in a 3 gallon tank along with 5 neon tetra's, 3 white cloud tetra's, 5 glofish and they all get along very well even in the small tank. I was told I could probably add 10 ghost shrimp since they stay on the bottom and don't bother anyone, but I am waiting as I know in time I will have to add a pleco.

In my second 3 gallon tank is Wendy - blue, stretch - orange, Casper-white, and Fatso -multicolored female beta's. In their tank is 1 male black mollie, 2 female orange platy's, 1 clear male sword tail, 1 orange female swordtail, and missing from that tank because they are in the nursery tank is my two pregnant female Mollies, one is marble and one black.

I have a total of three 3 gallon tanks and this is because I live in a one room apartment with shared bathroom and no kitchen. I do have a refridgerator, and a coffee station. So I am good. I have my Bullet to make my protein shakes, and I drink protein shots and eat three small small meals a day none of them fish or bird or dog! My pets that live with me. Two parrots with a third comming soon. Two Yorkshire terriers-no more dogs please! However if someone lives in WV and has a huge aquarium set up they just have to get rid of I would make room for it. :) :clown::BIG:

I have my male beta (Blue) his name is stinky in a 3 gallon tank along with 5 neon tetra's, 3 white cloud tetra's, 5 glofish and they all get along very well even in the small tank. I was told I could probably add 10 ghost shrimp since they stay on the bottom and don't bother anyone, but I am waiting as I know in time I will have to add a pleco.

In my second 3 gallon tank is Wendy - blue, stretch - orange, Casper-white, and Fatso -multicolored female beta's. In their tank is 1 male black mollie, 2 female orange platy's, 1 clear male sword tail, 1 orange female swordtail, and missing from that tank because they are in the nursery tank is my two pregnant female Mollies, one is marble and one black.

I have a total of three 3 gallon tanks and this is because I live in a one room apartment with shared bathroom and no kitchen. I do have a refridgerator, and a coffee station. So I am good. I have my Bullet to make my protein shakes, and I drink protein shots and eat three small small meals a day none of them fish or bird or dog! My pets that live with me. Two parrots with a third comming soon. Two Yorkshire terriers-no more dogs please! However if someone lives in WV and has a huge aquarium set up they just have to get rid of I would make room for it. :) :clown::BIG:
holy overloaded tanks

Don't want to hijack this thread, but I agree about the overloading and I don't mean to be critical, but that's way too many fish in those small tanks. Just for some perspective, the second tank's fish should be in at least a 20 gallon tank (or more) and if you're getting a pleco, the minimum tank size is 20 gallons just for that fish because they grow so large. Tank one might barely get by with a 10 gallon but all those fish would need a 20 gallon as well. Overcrowding will lead to poor water quality and unfortunately disease and deaths. Is there anyway you can get largers tanks or take back some of your fish to your lfs or give to a friend?

I am trying to get a 55 gallon tank, and then divide my beta's between the three small tanks.

Hubby will only go it if I down size somewhere else so I am probably giving up my weight gym, and my elliptical. We have to make room for the 55 gallon. It just happened that we ended up with so many. The gym which also consist of a bike and a treadmill takes up all of Misters room the living room. Soon my son will move out and I will have two rooms to work with-my fish room and my parrot room.

If the pregnant one's don't down load or if they eat their young, I am going to divide between the three tanks. For now.

I have a Ten gallon in the buliding I am going to look for today. I will have to buy filter, rock, heater, plants and deco, pump and stuff but I have a place to set it. I can put all my mollies, sword tails and maybe my tetra's and glolights in the larger tank.

Last edited:
In the meantime, Doing some hefty water changes and water paratmeter monitoring every day should help the huge ammonia build up you're bound to have. Whew, you're really up against it.

I am testing water twice a day and changing as needed. If it gets to bad we are going to divide them up evenly between the three tanks while we wait for the big tank to arrive. My neighbor thinks we have a HUGE tank on the way. We just have to clean it first as it had river fish in it. Anyone know what the best method of cleaning is for this type of mess? I know not to use household cleaners.

See my two tanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1741.jpg
    IMG_1741.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_1744.jpg
    IMG_1744.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 85
Back
Top Bottom