Male bettas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

donnaR

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was just in the pet store today and noticed they keep the male bettas in small clear plastic cups with blue water. Why would that be? I would have asked a store person, but they were all busy. It seemed strange. The fish can't be comfy in such a little cup? HOw long will they stay in there? Do they sell that many that it would just be for a short period of time? I felt sorry for them........

thanks mattrox! i'm still curious about why the water was blue? was it treated/medicated with something? every single cup was blue water.

It would have been medication. Some stores do it as prevention, but I I ran a store I would have a back room to treat dish so people can see only known healthy fish.

since bettas are classified in the Labrynth fish dohicky....they can breathe air....so mass producers of bettas beleive that its cheap and ok to put them in the little cups....yes the blue tint is a medication to help keep the stress levels down from shipment....but it is wrong to keep them in such a little container, at minimum a half gallon should be fine, i just feel sorry for them when i see them and just buy more to make them happy :D

Back
Top Bottom