Male dwarf gourami being very aggressive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

geostationary

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Haven't kept gouramis in a while, but I got a male+female pair for an extra 5.5 that I've been waiting to stock for a while. Since they've been introduced the male has been very aggressive to the female, chasing her around and bothering her constantly. Is this normal behavior for them? If not, what can I do to remedy it?

Haven't kept gouramis in a while, but I got a male+female pair for an extra 5.5 that I've been waiting to stock for a while. Since they've been introduced the male has been very aggressive to the female, chasing her around and bothering her constantly. Is this normal behavior for them? If not, what can I do to remedy it?

A 5.5 is kinda on the small size as a 10 is greatly recommended but for the issues I say stock it with plants plants hiding places and more hiding places. Gouramis really need shelter to feel comfortable and let their colors bloom

40 gallon planted aquarium
1x leopard ctenopoma
1x albino bichir
1x tiger pleco

75 gallon native tank
5 pumpkin seed sunfish
1 red crayfish
1 spotted bass

Unfortunately this IS normal behaviour for these guys, and in that tank, he is probably going to chase her to the point that she dies of stress. This tank is much too small for them. They should be in a 10 at the bare minimum and a 20 preferably. Ideally, there would be a second or even third female to spread out the male's aggression, as well.

That's what I feared. If I can't get a 20 for some reason I'll start looking at rehoming. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a similar thing happen to me with gouramis once. They're actually related to bettas and they can share their aggressive tendency. My experience has been that, in such cases, you have to separate them or the victim will die.

Picked up a 20g at Petco today. As soon as my heater comes in I'm going to move the female to the shrimp tank for a little while while I get everything I need for the 20g and cycle it in. I'm expecting some shrimp to become food, but I really want to get the female away from that stress asap.

Once the 20 is cycled I plan on putting them in there, adding another female. Starting to think about what else I can add. I've been wanting glass cats for a while now, would they be okay with the gouramis? Also thinking about hatchetfish. Any cautions there? Any ideas or thoughts are appreciated.

Picked up a 20g at Petco today. As soon as my heater comes in I'm going to move the female to the shrimp tank for a little while while I get everything I need for the 20g and cycle it in. I'm expecting some shrimp to become food, but I really want to get the female away from that stress asap.

Once the 20 is cycled I plan on putting them in there, adding another female. Starting to think about what else I can add. I've been wanting glass cats for a while now, would they be okay with the gouramis? Also thinking about hatchetfish. Any cautions there? Any ideas or thoughts are appreciated.
The hatchet fish are awesome but you need to have a secure lid because they do jump.

Glass cats are fine with a gourami. At least, I can attest that I have one of each in a 17 gallon without issue.

Lessee....half a year? The glass cat is the lone survivor of the school I bought after the tank had cycled a few years back. I think the gourami has been in there since the early part of last summer.

I have a pair of gouramis in a ten and a school of glass cats. At first the male chewed the female quite a bit but after a week or two he stopped, and now they seem inseparable, and they always do this "dance" twirling around each other. I believe it's breeding behavior but I don't know. The 4 glass cats are left alone completely. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421730890.805460.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421730914.490291.jpg
They have thrived for over a year so far.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Beautiful fish there. Mine have actually become much nicer to each other. Still going to separate until I can get them into the 20, but they're being much nicer. Good to know you've had success with glass cats.

Beautiful fish there. Mine have actually become much nicer to each other. Still going to separate until I can get them into the 20, but they're being much nicer. Good to know you've had success with glass cats.

Glad they're getting a bigger tank! They will show much better behavior there as well. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I'm so glad you were willing to separate them and get a larger tank. They will be much happier in there, and the addition of a second female is great.

Hatchetfish (both varieties) are one of my absolute favourites! They are active and unique and I've never had any aggression issues with them. Very peaceful, and hardy in my experience as well. I think you could add around 7 of them.

The glass cats should be okay as well, just make sure to keep them in a proper group.

Back
Top Bottom