Male Gourami Compatability

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eah

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a beautiful male blue gourami that is about 2.5 - 3" long. I only have the one as I've read that males can be territorial with one another. I am upgrading my tank from a 30 gallon to a 55 gallon. The new tank's current owner has two silver dollars and a gold gourami in the tank. All three of his fish are 3". He has offered the fish with the tank if I am interested.

I already know that I am not going to take the silver dollars because I have read that they should be kept in schools and that they grow up to 6". If I kept a school of them in my 55, I wouldn't have room for my current fish that need to move in there (5 serpae tetras, 1 rubberlip pleco, 1 blue gourami and 5 peppered corydoras). Also, I've read that the silver dollars would eat all of my plants which is also a good reason for me to avoid them.

So, here's my question. I don't know if this guy's gold gourami is a male or female. If it is a female, I am under the impression that I could easily add her to the tank without a problem. However, if it's a male, am I right that this is not a good idea? I want to avoid any possible problems in the new tank so I would appreciate your advice as to whether the (1 blue and 1 gold) gouramis would not be good to keep together assuming they are both males.

Thanks in advance. :D

Male gourami's stand a better chance of getting along when there are more than one female with them. Two males alone in a tank very well might get aggressive. I have had some success keeping two males together with enough room and hiding places for each to have their own territory. It is dependant on each fish's personality.

Thanks for the info. I hadn't read about putting females in with males to limit their aggression. However, since I'm not wanting to devote that much tank space to Gouramis I'll just skip the free gold one, unless it happens to be a female.

i have three males and they swim around together. i guess u could try it and if it doesnt work take the fish to a lfs.
lots of people have had sucess well others have not. i guess it all depends on the fish, the tank and other factors. but two gouramis in a 55g might be fine. but i guess its all worth a shot.
thats like 25g each for territories and such.

I have 2 Opaline and 1 Gold the gold will chase the opalines occationally but that seems to be getting less and less frequent as they are catching up in size Mine are also in a 75 Gallon tank which might help them be less territorial but they seem to get along fine when they are the same size and my opalines are buds.

You could break the tank up a into "territories" a little with the decorations and that might help. But the size of the aquarium should give them a fair shot of getting along. Also since you would be adding them at the same time it wont be like one is invading the others territory, they can both establish their own.
And if they dont get along you might could put one of them in the old tank until you can find a better home for him or something.
Good luck bud.

I have two male dwarfs in a 30g and aside from occasional nipping and chasing they seem ok.

:( Back to the drawing board. Even though the seller told me the tank was still available (and I got back to him right away about picking it up), I heard back and he's already sold it. So, I guess I don't have any potential Gourami compatability issues now. It was a really good deal too - a 55 gallon tank and cabinet style stand for $100. :(

Thank you though for all of the helpful advice. It will be very useful as I'm deciding the exact stocking plan for the upgraded tank when I eventually find one.

Back
Top Bottom