Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-18-2009, 11:17 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to Nancella Send a message via Yahoo to Nancella
Male Guppies in Community Tank = Bully Problems!

I have four male 4-month old guppies in a 10G community tank and they are really stirring up trouble! These pretty but highly aggressive fish were quite literally after the asses of my 2-month old Mollies which were about the same size, so I put those Mollies in my roommate's 10G. Then, I thought I could divert their sexual attention...

I transferred 12 of the newborn fry (from New Year's Eve) into my tank. For the first week, they left them alone, but now they are being really aggressive with these very young fry. I have to say, I kind of hate the Guppies and want to get rid of them to restore harmony in my community tank.

I don't want to breed these butt-biting Guppies so getting them females is out of the question! Is there anything else I can do?

10G: 2 female adult Marble Lyretail Mollies, 4 adult male Guppies, 1 Zebra Loach, 3 Whisker Shrimp and... at the moment... I have about 12 or so newborn Marble Lyretail Mollies which I plan to give up for adoption soon... (My roomate has about 20 or so in his tank)
Nancella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:51 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

i say just go to the pet store and look for a trade off

Old 01-18-2009, 11:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Theres nothing really you can do to keep them all together. Especially since the mollies are female. There has even been cases of cross breeding btw gupppies and mollies. Although I believe there young to be sterile. So either you get female guppies so the males harass them or remove them. I dont believe guppies actually can cause any physical damage they arent "fin nippers" they just give chase. So other than a little stress it may be harmless fun.

The Past Is History, The Future Is A Mystery, Today Is A Gift, Thats Why They Call It The Present.
dmoney87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 11:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancella View Post
I got them from a breeder in trade for Molly fry.
Hey, Mike... I got them from a breeder in trade for Molly fry.
10G: 2 female adult Marble Lyretail Mollies, 4 adult male Guppies, 1 Zebra Loach, 3 Whisker Shrimp and... at the moment... I have about 12 or so newborn Marble Lyretail Mollies which I plan to give up for adoption soon... (My roomate has about 20 or so in his tank)
Old 01-18-2009, 11:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmoney87 View Post
Theres nothing really you can do to keep them all together. Especially since the mollies are female. There has even been cases of cross breeding btw gupppies and mollies. Although I believe there young to be sterile. So either you get female guppies so the males harass them or remove them. I dont believe guppies actually can cause any physical damage they arent "fin nippers" they just give chase. So other than a little stress it may be harmless fun.
Thanks! Good to know they are only mentally messing with them!
Old 03-10-2009, 12:06 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

HI
would like your guppies let me know if you still have them and if resonable
rick_a_robinson@sympatico.ca
thanks
rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancella View Post
I have four male 4-month old guppies in a 10G community tank and they are really stirring up trouble! These pretty but highly aggressive fish were quite literally after the asses of my 2-month old Mollies which were about the same size, so I put those Mollies in my roommate's 10G. Then, I thought I could divert their sexual attention...

I transferred 12 of the newborn fry (from New Year's Eve) into my tank. For the first week, they left them alone, but now they are being really aggressive with these very young fry. I have to say, I kind of hate the Guppies and want to get rid of them to restore harmony in my community tank.

I don't want to breed these butt-biting Guppies so getting them females is out of the question! Is there anything else I can do?
Old 03-10-2009, 02:19 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickster777 View Post
HI
would like your guppies let me know if you still have them and if resonable
rick_a_robinson@sympatico.ca
thanks
rick
I still have several, but I can only work with people in NYC.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:54 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

I found that for black mollies at least, if you sex them early and put all the males in a separate tank, they don't chase each other. They are actually pretty peaceful.
In the main tank, I left all the females since they get bigger than the males and if there is no men around are also peaceful fish.

So now I have a small 5 gal tank packed with plants and about 20 small males and one full grown one. They seem pretty content.

The problem I have is I have many more females than males so, as the fems get bigger my mail tank is going to get overstocked.

I'll have to give em away or get another tank, and stop them from breeding.

Maybe I can trade some big healthy clean fems for something at a local store.

I only wanted 2 black mollies.
I shoulda picked 2 girls.
They need to put warning labels on the tanks.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:59 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
I dont believe guppies actually can cause any physical damage they arent "fin nippers" they just give chase.
Well when you have 50 half grown ones, and a few big fantail goldfish, you might find as I did, they will attack in mass and chew their fins to rags pretty quick.

Ok they are just picking for food but they will wreck a fancy GF's fins.
Old 03-11-2009, 03:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyquil Junkie View Post
Well when you have 50 half grown ones, and a few big fantail goldfish, you might find as I did, they will attack in mass and chew their fins to rags pretty quick.

Ok they are just picking for food but they will wreck a fancy GF's fins.
What a horrible image, but good to know!

Tags
bully, community, community tank, guppie, guppies, male, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com