Male guppy annoying female platy ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

goodgy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have recently stocked my tank with
2 female guppies
1 male guppie
2 female platys
1 make platys

& I realise there going to breed hence why I got them

They are all fine together besides one male guppy won't stop following and what's seems to be pecking at one of the female platys , why would this be ??

He dosent follow or annoy the other 3 females in the tank , just that one ?

Well Male Guppies are possibly the most 'fertile' fish out there..

They will try to mate with most female livebearers (including Platies), the fact that it's just going after one female right now is probably just coincidence.

The females mightn't be mature enough for it just yet or it is simply getting used to things still.

My Guppies chase Swordtails, Platies, Mollies, even my Gourami sometimes.

Chances are slim that it will actually interbreed but if a Male touches a Female there's a 99% it's pregnant.

This is just personal experience.

Your Livebearers

I have recently stocked my tank with
2 female guppies
1 male guppie
2 female platys
1 make platys

& I realise there going to breed hence why I got them

They are all fine together besides one male guppy won't stop following and what's seems to be pecking at one of the female platys , why would this be ??

He dosent follow or annoy the other 3 females in the tank , just that one ?

Hello good...

This is what the male Guppies do. If you keep livebearing fish, you need to heavily plant the surface, so the the females and eventually the fry have a place to hide. The more floating plants, the more comfortable and healthier the fish. Hornwort and Brazilian water weed (Anacharis) are probably the best. You just drop several individual stems of the plants into the tank. No planting is required. The plants grow quickly and cover the surface. If you have plants on the bottom, then the surface plants will need to be trimmed a bit.

I keep large tanks of livebearing fish and the entire surface is covered about 3 inches thick with these plants along with Pennywort. When the males get a bit annoying, the females simply swim up into the mass of plants and the male loses sight of them. This way, the females are very rarely stressed.

The surface cover also allows the fry to hide too. As soon as the fry are born, they swim to the top of the tank for their first breath and stay there to feed until they're large enough to move safely around the tank.

B

Back
Top Bottom