Male livebearer quarrelling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RoK

Aquarium Advice Addict
Has anyone had experience with male livebearers quarrelling with a different species of male livebearers? For example, a male swordtail and a male molly? Or is it usually that male livebearers only quarrel with their own species?
I'm thinking of starting a livebearer tank (hopefully within a month-a few months) and am just curious. I'm thinking of having:
Mollies - 2 fem, 1 male
Swordtails - 1 fem, 1 male (could it be a problem having only one female?)
This would be in my 20 gal, after I get everyone out.

good question Rok. Im going to give livebearers a go with swordtails too. But im not sure what kind of numbers to keep them in.

Sorry i couldn't help.

Can anyone else?

Heiko said:
good question Rok. Im going to give livebearers a go with swordtails too. But im not sure what kind of numbers to keep them in.

Sorry i couldn't help.

Can anyone else?
It is usually suggested at least 2+ females per male.

Since livebearers have been known to interbreed, obviously males from one species will attempt to mate with females of the other. It would then stand to reason, that they would consider other males from a different species competition if they were inclined to mate outside thier own species. But I really doubt that you would have any significant quarelling. They seem like dogs, after a while a dominence heirarchy gets established, and any conflicts are for show and do no harm.

i'm sure the males would quarrel abit if they are close enough in the "evolution line" the 2 female to 1 female sounds good, but if you have the room...3-4 female to 1 male will give each female some time to relax cuz its well known that males will harrass the females till they die :( good luck though!! i love livebearers

Thanks for the advice. If I do go with a livebearer tank, I think I'll go with 2-4 females per male. :)

Back
Top Bottom