male or female?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm thinking personally that you have two males. I am no expert but I see no tube between the under belly fins and the dorsal fin to my knowledge with males has 3 black spines which I believe yours have. I'm sure someone else will chime in

Here's my two rams, if you look at the under belly you'll see in the 2nd picture the tube between the front and back fins. That's how I distinguished mine. So picture number 1 is male and number 2 is female. U may have to zoom in to see

Attachments

• image-2203998036.jpg
    image-2203998036.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 55
  • image-2957606473.jpg
    image-2957606473.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 61
I'm not sure now! I believe the one with the most pink in its tail fin is a male, I've been watching them closely and when it extends its dorsal it has 3 long rays. The other one won't stay still long enough or extend ita dorsal for me to really look at. Niether of them seem to have a pink belly like I've read females tend to have. So confused :(

Had to stake out the tank. They were not cooperating with the camera. Top is the male, bottom is the female. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Attachments

• image-1634076344.jpg
    image-1634076344.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 57
I have to stake out my tank too now otherwise they'll come up to the front straight at me and won't turn sideways for good pics lol right now they are acting all buddy buddy with each other, hangings out and looping around themselves not bothering ant of my original fish which is good :)

water12 said:
I have to stake out my tank too now otherwise they'll come up to the front straight at me and won't turn sideways for good pics lol right now they are acting all buddy buddy with each other, hangings out and looping around themselves not bothering ant of my original fish which is good :)

Yeah, when you don't have your camera/don't want to take their picture, they are always in the open. Camera comes out, hide!

I believe you have two females. They both look like my girl. Either get a male or you might want to rehome one of them.

Ahhh! Ok I did some more searching of pictures for the venting tube and I think I finally understand it lol I looked very, very carefully at them and only one has a visible tube! It's the paler one and her head is slightly more rounded compared to the sharp slant of the suspected male. Here's the absolute best additional pics I could get:

ForumRunner_20120725_200450.jpg

Suspected male, sharp slope to head, three defined rays, colorful, and no matter how long I look I saw absolutely no venting tube

ForumRunner_20120725_200726.jpg

ForumRunner_20120725_200703.jpg

ForumRunner_20120725_200749.jpg

Suspected female (she would not sit still!) More of a rounded head, tapered rays on dorsal, paler, a clearly visible venting tube, I know its blurry but if you zoom and look closely you can see the shape.

I'm pretty sure I have a male and female :) any other observations are welcome!

water12 said:
Ahhh! Ok I did some more searching of pictures for the venting tube and I think I finally understand it lol I looked very, very carefully at them and only one has a visible tube! It's the paler one and her head is slightly more rounded compared to the sharp slant of the suspected male. Here's the absolute best additional pics I could get:

Suspected male, sharp slope to head, three defined rays, colorful, and no matter how long I look I saw absolutely no venting tube

Suspected female (she would not sit still!) More of a rounded head, tapered rays on dorsal, paler, a clearly visible venting tube, I know its blurry but if you zoom and look closely you can see the shape.

I'm pretty sure I have a male and female :) any other observations are welcome!

Yes, my female has a forehead and chin. My male has a more pointed face. Have yours warmed up to each other yet? I've had mine for a few months now and they tolerate da hither, but nothing much.

Yeah they get along pretty decent, they hang out together and the only time there is any visible aggression is feeding time. I think my platy has become friends with them, its always swimming around with them :)

Back
Top Bottom