Male or female?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Forgot pics

Attachments

• image-1797005093.jpg
    image-1797005093.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 56
  • image-2376141264.jpg
    image-2376141264.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 61
Thanks I was reading up on it and it said the females have bristles to but the males are more bushy it just confused me

That's a female. Females have bristles along their lip, where as males have them going up their face as well as the lip. I can't see any bristles anywhere other than on the rim. Nice pleco btw

Are you sure? Those front bristles seem pretty long to me. If a young male had bristles that long he'd already have them covering his face as well.

I've had dozens of females over the years and even adults were not showing the pronounced bristles this young male is showing. I'm not terribly schooled in these types of fish but in my opinion it's a male.

Last edited:
I've had dozens of females over the years and even adults were not showing the pronounced bristles this young male is showing.

When i can get to my iPhone ill show you my female lol shes very macho. O think the fry are going to have amazing bristles when they're older ;)

Haha this is why I got confused :) but at least I know now hopefully when my other one grows up a bit it's a female I want baby plecos :)

Back
Top Bottom