Male pearl gourami chasing the females.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishliker

Aquarium Advice Freak
My question. I have bought a divider for my 55 g tank and put him in it to keep him separated. Any ideas on how long I will have to keep him in there so he won’t chase the others?
Or is it his personality? I have 3 females who are hiding from him.
Story. I had a male gourami for 4 years who never chased any other fish, including the females. So this one does and has for the 6 weeks or so I have had it. I tried rearranging tank, did not
help.
I can’t take him back, there is only one fish store here that had a car crash into the front and is closed for repairs. Any suggestions appreciated?

I had an ornery one and a super sweet one. Rehomed the mean one to a friend who had semi aggressive fish which were larger and he behaved himself perfectly. They weren't attacking him or anything they just wouldn't put up with his aggression. My nice one continued to live for many years and was sweet and beautiful.

Bottom line is, I think it is really a personality issue.

I had an ornery one and a super sweet one. Rehomed the mean one to a friend who had semi aggressive fish which were larger and he behaved himself perfectly. They weren't attacking him or anything they just wouldn't put up with his aggression. My nice one continued to live for many years and was sweet and beautiful.

Bottom line is, I think it is really a personality issue.

Yes, thanks...afraid this was the deal. The store is to reopen by early January. Hopefully I can get him traded then. He is a beautiful fish, but certainly dominant. While the females are hiding, they do come out to eat and they seem not to be too stressed so far.

Back
Top Bottom