Males or female

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Slow-dagger

Aquarium Advice Activist
Which one of my angels it female or male

image-1233856695.jpg

image-3591013661.jpg

image-1233856695.jpg

Attachments

• image-2884244918.jpg
    image-2884244918.jpg
    161.5 KB · Views: 63
I'm afraid you can't know for certain until your female if you have any that is!! Is pregnant!

Walshy_afc said:
I'm afraid you can't know for certain until your female if you have any that is!! Is pregnant!

No that r very young

The way to tell is "if" they breed, which can occur anytime after 8 months of age, watch their vents. The breeding tube on a male will look like a pointed pencil end, the females tube will look like a blunt eraser end. The most tell tale sign that a pair is getting ready to spawn will be when you see them constantly cleaning a certain area (leaf, filter tubing, side of tank) before they begin spawning. They don't get pregnant like live bearers.

Rivercats said:
The way to tell is "if" they breed, which can occur anytime after 8 months of age, watch their vents. The breeding tube on a male will look like a pointed pencil end, the females tube will look like a blunt eraser end. The most tell tale sign that a pair is getting ready to spawn will be when you see them constantly cleaning a certain area (leaf, filter tubing, side of tank) before they begin spawning. They don't get pregnant like live bearers.

Tube?? Plz explain more I'm 15 idk about all that

From what I understand you generally have to wait until the angels are a lot older especially if theyre not mating. the easiest way to tell them apart is, the larger the bump on their forehead is, the more likely it is a male. A more dificult way to tell is males have slightly more oblong bodies and the females are more circular or an upright diamond shaped.

Walshy_afc said:

Just though I'd point out that angelfish don't get pregnant, they lay eggs. Only mollies, guppies, swordtails and platies. Like others have said your going to have to wait until they breed. Some people buy 3-4 to increase chances of getting a pair. Then they sell the extra ones.

AnabantoidLover said:
I thought angels need groups to establish loyal breeding pairs in the first place.

Mine r not Even adults there r rly young there like 2 inches long I'm just wanna find out if it m or f

Sorry I thought you'd got your answer. You won't know until they breed IF they do that is because they usually have to establish loyal pairs. They are not easy to sex.

AnabantoidLover said:
Sorry I thought you'd got your answer. You won't know until they breed IF they do that is because they usually have to establish loyal pairs. They are not easy to sex.

Thanx!?

I thought angels need groups to establish loyal breeding pairs in the first place.

That is the easiest way, get a group of juvinelles, let them mature and pair up. But males don't always bond to just one female. In the 220g tank I have 10 angels, in the beginning there were still 3 young juvinelles but 7 adults. In those 7 adults, two actually became a "bonded pair" but the other 5 turned out to be 1 male and 4 females. Now that male spawns with all 4 females and the females have an uneasy truce. Even have had 2 females trying to tend to anothers eggs with the male. So males sometimes have trio's or harems. The juvies are finally hitting maturity now and one of his females looks to be bonding with a young male. So basically what I'm trying to say is there are exceptions to breeding pairs. But yes having a group and letting them pair naturally is the standard.

When bought them from pets Mart i asked for the paired on they seem pretty together but if I add 2 more is that enough

What size is your tank.? Angels do best as a single, or two, or more than 6. If you have more than 2 but less than 6 there can be some serious aggression issues and there is never a guarantee that you will get a pair/pairs. If your happy with the two you have then leave them alone. It won't matter if they are a pair because even if they are a pair and would lay eggs in a community tank no fry would likely survive. If you get more so you perhaps "get a pair" you would then have to remove the others unless you have a really large tank.

Rivercats said:
What size is your tank.? Angels do best as a single, or two, or more than 6. If you have more than 2 but less than 6 there can be some serious aggression issues and there is never a guarantee that you will get a pair/pairs. If your happy with the two you have then leave them alone. It won't matter if they are a pair because even if they are a pair and would lay eggs in a community tank no fry would likely survive. If you get more so you perhaps "get a pair" you would then have to remove the others unless you have a really large tank.

Like a 20 gallon!

A 20 gallon is too small even for your 2 angels. Not now but once they grow and mature. I've got a couple angels now that are over 6 inches from top fin tip to bottom fin tip, with over silver dollar size bodies (I do have veil angels which have longer fins than normal angels), but the point is angels get very large over time and you eventually have to get them a larger, deeper tank or re-home them.

Rivercats said:
A 20 gallon is too small even for your 2 angels. Not now but once they grow and mature. I've got a couple angels now that are over 6 inches from top fin tip to bottom fin tip, with over silver dollar size bodies (I do have veil angels which have longer fins than normal angels), but the point is angels get very large over time and you eventually have to get them a larger, deeper tank or re-home them.

Yea I read that I'm gonna trade them in for mollies I had the angels in a 10 if they got bigger I would of change them to my 20 now I know they can't be in them I will trade them the angels were the size of a 50 cent coin

Back
Top Bottom