manzanita safe for aquariums?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jojobo

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought a beautiful manzanita branch from marshalls. But I am not sure if it's good for aquariums.

Manzanita is generally safe for aquarium use but the problem is that it may have been treated with something prior to ending up on the shelf at Marshalls.

I am not sure how to test for that.

Manzanita is okay for aquariums, as long as its not treated with anything. and regardless I would boil it before putting it in the tank

I don't know if its a good idea but I contacted them.

If you dont think its a good idea it is probably not a good idea... but if it isnt treated and you boil it it is more than likely fine

I wouldn't use it from marshalls, what if the janitor hosed it with windex or something.. just order some from the site or check your lfs..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Looks really nice!! Also looks bleached. . I always thought manzanita had a red/bronze tinge.m

I think you are right. There are stains and it doesnot smell like wood. I guess back to marshalls it goes.

Definitely wouldn't risk it...

It's hard to find pieces like this around my area. Plus shipping is expensive.
Tray save-on-crafts.com and bloomsandbranches.com for inexpensive pieces. Sometimes there is free or inexpensive shipping. Just read the descriptions and make sure they are not treated with anything. I just bought some of the sandblasted stuff.

Looks really nice!! Also looks bleached. . I always thought manzanita had a red/bronze tinge.m
It is probably sandblasted which removes the outer bark.

how do you make sure that there are no chemicals? blooms & branches never mentioned no chemicals.

Back
Top Bottom