Marble Algae Eater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rhetor

Aquarium Advice Activist
I just bought a little "marble algae eater" on impulse from the LFS.

Has anyone heard of these? It looks like a common algae eater, but the back half is a dark brown while the front half is a light tan.

Its in my 10g for now, but i can always put it into the 125g if it gets too big.

EDIT-

well, its a pretty neat little fish so far.

I dropped it into the tank and it wasn't stressed whatsoever. I'm used to new fish hanging low for a few hours, but this little got got right to action.

Its eating algae and also schooling with my 3 rosy barbs. I guess they look sort of similar. The rosy barbs were a bit hesitant at first to let the Algae eater hang around, but it looks as They are following the Algae eater now!

Anyone know what sort of algae these guys will eat? I'm guessing he's a common algae eater, as i don't know of any other types, other than siamese/ottos.

Congrats on the new pleco. He will outgrow your 10 but as you have a bigger tank, it's all good. Plecos like algae wafers, veggies and fruits. Mine go crazy for canteloupe and zucchini's. My common plecos eat algae off the glass but that is about all they go for. Maybe because they have so much else to eat I don't know. :)

Zagz,

I don't think he's in the plecostomus family but he does have a similar mouth.

Its the same shape as an Otto, only a little narrower and different colorations. I can take a picture with my cell phone but i don't think it'll look very good.

I have a common pleco in my 125 and it is much much different than this new fish.

Sort of like this guy? Chinese algae eater. Good thing you have a 125. They get big. And then they stop eating algae.

Chinese_Algae_Eater.jpg

Could it be one of these. They are called Pitbull plecos, but are related to otocinclus, hence the name Parotocinclus jumbo. They are sort of marbled looking. If this is what you have, then I am jealous. ;) I want some of these for a tank I'll be setting up soon but they are hard to find around here.

Looks identical to the Chinese Algae eater in shape, but the coloration is different.

He's brown for his back half, and tan for his front half, with all clear/tan fins.

Sorry for the crappy picture but its the best my cell phone can muster. The little tyke is about 1.25" long

Attachments

• photo_0126_549.jpg
    photo_0126_549.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 200
Color variation of the chinese algae eater. Don't be surprised if he turns all gold. Mine did. I have mine in a 29 and I have not seen him grow at all for more than a year, and he is about 2 1/2 inches. He doesn't bother the other fish, but is rather anti-social. When I had him in a divided 10 gallon he would jump the divider if the other side was empty or nearly empty.

Thanks for the positive ID!

He's pretty much eradicated all the algea in the tank. I'd pat him on the back and say good boy, but he's a fish.

Back
Top Bottom