Marble in Aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TrueEnvy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello every one. My dad went to Alaska and got me this amazing whale fin made of marble (the stone) and I need to know if it's Ok for me to have it in my tank. My pH is 7.8-8.0 if that helps at all. Also if anyone has marble in there tank I would love to see pictures on how it looks.

Should look beautiful. I can't guarantee that it's safe because I don't know for sure but I've seen a lot of marble fountains with goldfish. I used to travel to the midwest on business and for some reason Kansas City is the fountain capital of the US and people love throwing goldfish in them there fountains.

Not sure but I think they looked happy

Hi.
Marble gravel can have a similar effect to crushed coral. It can raise the Ph and Gh of the water. Your sculpture will have significantly less surface area than gravel and would be less of a problem.
As it has been a domestic ornament I would give it a good wash and rinse to remove polish etc.
Here is a a good article that might be of help. It's about using outdoor rock but I assume the same principles apply.
http://freshaquarium.about.com/od/termsandtables/f/outdoorrock.htm
Hope it works and looks good.

I've used marble in my tanks for years, generally large broken pieces of slabs. No worries about the water chemistry, but the marble itself does tend to erode a bit over time. Some pieces more so than others, I presume it depends on the specific makeup of the stone.

Back
Top Bottom