Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-02-2012, 04:18 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Marbled Cray Care and Feeding

I just got a marbled cray and want to know the best way to care for it. My LFS said that hard water is fine and they feed them flake food. He said I can feed anything. Now I am asking yall for better advice lol. What water parameters are best? What to feed? (I have thought a mix frog pellets, betta pellets, tropical flakes, algae wafers, and prawn eggs would be good lol) What temperature?
I have it in a 5 gallon by a window right now. After I get some mula from the babies (she is carrying) I am gonna move the tank and get a clamp on light.
Also how do I reduce the water flow? I rubberbanded a top fin filter cartrige on the outtake but its not enough. I have duckweed that I am trying to grow.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:02 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Crays like well oxygenated water, so if you reduce the flow, I would add an airstone.

Hard water is great. Unless the room gets really cold, you shouldn't need a heater. Crays can thrive in cooler waters.

They will eat just about everything. I feed my crays a varied diet of shrimp pellets, carnivore wafers, algae wafers, frozen blooodworms/brine shrimp, zucchini..whatever.

I would be careful selling these. I don't think the average hobbyist should keep these as pets. The rate at which they reproduce is pretty crazy and they don't require a mate, so they could become a very invasive species if released into the wild.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:12 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by siva View Post
Crays like well oxygenated water, so if you reduce the flow, I would add an airstone.
I have one behind the heater outake. I hope that is good. Its on low setting.
Hard water is great. Unless the room gets really cold, you shouldn't need a heater. Crays can thrive in cooler waters.
Our house gets low as 67 at night and high as 74 during day. Also the tank is by the window. I keep it at about 75.
They will eat just about everything. I feed my crays a varied diet of shrimp pellets, carnivore wafers, algae wafers, frozen blooodworms/brine shrimp, zucchini..whatever.
Thank you for this!
I would be careful selling these. I don't think the average hobbyist should keep these as pets. The rate at which they reproduce is pretty crazy and they don't require a mate, so they could become a very invasive species if released into the wild.
I will be careful. People on here and my LFS will be the most likely buyers.
Replies in red. He hides in his pvc ALL the time. Is that normal?
Old 03-02-2012, 09:53 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Terrance's Album: 29 Gallon Marbled Crayfish Breeder Tank

Yes its normal. My 29g was not big enough to keep these crayfish.
Old 03-02-2012, 10:01 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrance View Post
Why was it not big enough?
Old 03-02-2012, 10:14 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Too many crays and not enough space. They are fast breeders and should not be aquarium pets IMO. Best to use them for academic purposes or feeders.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:13 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

When crays are berried they hide most of the time. For the short time it's not berried it should be out and about more.
Old 03-03-2012, 01:39 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ah ok. Well does anyone know how long they are berried? I actually only did this for extra money but I kinda fell for this thing lol

Tags
feeding, led

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com