Marbled Hatchetfish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adadkins1

Aquarium Advice Addict
Went to the LPS to check on some Marbled Hatchetfish. They still had about the same number as they did a week ago and they were all healthy and fairly active. I got 8 so they will hopefully do better than with smaller numbers. :fish1:

My only problem right now is that my Pearl Gourami seems to think they are intruders and he intimidates them. :devilish: I'm hoping that he doesn't turn into a bully like my DG. If he does, I will have to take him back to the LFS. I don't know what why he thinks he owns the place.

Anyway, hopefully everything works out. Here's some pictures!

Attachments

• Hatchets.jpg
    Hatchets.jpg
    260.8 KB · Views: 163
  • Hatchets hiding.jpg
    Hatchets hiding.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 126
Wow they are awesome!! I have a few reccomendations. When you feed flakes make sure to crush them into smaller pieces and make sure the flakes float on top of the water so your fish can see them! Also, mine love mysis shrimp for a treat! Haha they are naturally very skinny fish, so watch them closly to make sure they eat and that they stay "fat" :) if you loose 2 or so dont be upset with yourself, about 2 of every 10 die in the process of being introduced into a new enviroment! Goodluck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks!

Anybody got ideas about the Gourami and the Hatchets? I don't want him to stress them to death or keep the from coming out in the open. :(

Oh i doubt the gourmi will have any problems with them. My angels and ram dont mind my hatchets at all! Haha

No, that is what I'm saying; my Gourami is already messing with them. I've already had to remove my Dwarf Gourami about a week ago for being a bully. Now my Pearl Gourami has been intimidating the Marbles. Maybe he will get used to them and not have any problems.

Hmm thats kida wierd... I think things should slow down because gourmis and hatchets swim at differant levels of the tank... Sorry :(

Actually the Gouramis do swim towards the top of the tank a lot. I do hope that he will chill out. If not, I will just have to give up on Gouramis to good; even if they are stunning fish. :bawl: I don't tolerate bullying at all.

Oh thats wierd because the gourmis that i have had seemed to swim in the middle.. I never really liked gourmis too much though because i think one ate all of my neons a while back..

Dang! Must have been a fairly large Gourami. I've never had that problem. Mine stays in the middle, but if he sees the Hatchets he will kinda chase them. Just a little territorial streak I guess, hope he calms down.

adadkins1 said:
Dang! Must have been a fairly large Gourami. I've never had that problem. Mine stays in the middle, but if he sees the Hatchets he will kinda chase them. Just a little territorial streak I guess, hope he calms down.

Dont worry at all. Hatchets can jump like no other..thats why they have "wings" to jump out of the water and avoid predators. They should be okay and able to protect themselves. If the gourami is still agressive, give him a time out;)

Just wanted to update, flipped the lights on and was expecting the worst. Well, they all made it through the night and they are actually all out in the open schooling. It also seems as though the Gourami may calm down and keep to himself. I guess he was just inspecting the new additions.

adadkins1 said:
Just wanted to update, flipped the lights on and was expecting the worst. Well, they all made it through the night and they are actually all out in the open schooling. It also seems as though the Gourami may calm down and keep to himself. I guess he was just inspecting the new additions.

Great! Theyr all alive!!

Fwi: mine that did die didnt do so in the first night. It was the first month. Good yours are still doing okay though!!

If they keep messing with the hatchets, you could always try changing up the decor a bit, make the "bosses" no longer boss anymore

Yeah, he isn't constantly doing it so hopefully it will taper off. Everybody seems to still be in good shape. After closer observation it seems as though the Hatchets are not too fond about the NLS pellets, but they did seem to eat flakes. I will still keep an eye out for Ich, but hopefully it isn't an issue.

adadkins1 said:
Yeah, he isn't constantly doing it so hopefully it will taper off. Everybody seems to still be in good shape. After closer observation it seems as though the Hatchets are not too fond about the NLS pellets, but they did seem to eat flakes. I will still keep an eye out for Ich, but hopefully it isn't an issue.

Sounds good. Do the pellets float?

Yes but they just chew on them, then spit them back out for the Glowlight Tetras. However they seemed to gobble up the cheap flakes!

adadkins1 said:
Yes but they just chew on them, then spit them back out for the Glowlight Tetras. However they seemed to gobble up the cheap flakes!

Weird! Yea i bet they are eating tge flakes though...

Funny! I have glowlights too!

I know you said they were getting along better, just had a thought--do you have any floating plants/decorations? Most everything I've read about pearls say they like having floating plants to hang out under. That could give him a place to mark his territory, maybe, instead of trying to take the whole tank. *shrug* May be unnecessary--just a thought. :)

Yes, I do have some floating Hornwort, Anacharis, Duckweed.

I greatly appreciate your input and will probably float some more tomorrow since I'm getting Jungle Val. Thanks for the idea.

Gboy66, that is weird. I love the Glowlights though, hardier than a Neon but nearly as handsome.

Back
Top Bottom