Marbles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It can be done, but is not the best substrate. Its mainly used to help breeding, because the fry/eggs can fall between them and be safe from being eaten.

I plan to keep some platies as soon as I get setup and I was thinking of the eventual fry. I was also thinking of keeping 3 yoyo's and thought something that smooth would be easier on the barbels. What are the disadvantages?

They don't provide anything for fish that like to dig or root around in the substrate. Fish that like sandy bottoms and such would not be a good idea in such a tank.

Killer_Instinct said:
Substrate??

Do you not know what this is? I don't understand why you answered the original question if you didn't. The substrate is the gravel/dirt/sand in the bottom of your tank.

Hey man.. I know you want responses to your posts and activity on the board, but that's what it is, a board. If you want some real time converstation, try the chat link at the top of the page.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language: Fourth Edition. 2000.

substrate

SYLLABICATION: sub·strate
PRONUNCIATION: sbstrt
NOUN: 1. The material or substance on which an enzyme acts. 2. Biology A surface on which an organism grows or is attached. 3. An underlying layer; a substratum. 4. Linguistics An indigenous language that contributes features to the language of an invading people who impose their language on the indigenous population.

Specifcly the bold part.

Marbles are reccomended in breeding tanks of eggscatters such as Danios. The eggs fall between the marbles and mommy and daddy fish can't eat them. :wink:

Actually...one of the biggest problems with using marbles is that it leaves a LOT of space for uneaten food and fish waste to settle into....unfortunately out of the reach of most bottom-feeders.

Marbles are GREAT for temporary breeding tanks housing egg-scatterers like Danios and Barbs.

A substrate comprised entirely of marbles is very difficult to maintain, and does not provide the surface area that helps the biofilter in the way that irregularly shaped gravel does. Quite a bit of debris gets trapped and it is hard to get it out. Nothing horrible will happen, but I recommend against using it, just from having tried it in my early fishkeeping days (bright colored marbles with goldfish looked really cool!) and having water quality problems as a result.

In my experience they make a poor substrate as food can often fall under them and sit uneaten. You will have to make sure to vacuum well.

Back
Top Bottom