mass fish loss in less than 10 mins?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
hi Polarfoot, eco mentioned about line flushing. take the below for example - there may have been something similar happening in your area on that day.

If you have tropical fish or other aquatic animals, contact your local tropical fish
store to determine the proper treatment of the water before adding it to your fish
tank. Fire hydrant flushing following the super-chlorination may cause cloudy,
discolored water, but the condition is temporary and should return to normal
within a few hours.

http://www.ci.miramar.fl.us/utilities/docs/superchlorination.pdf

A mass warning on this thread, make your posts legible from here on out or they will be deleted:

Per the site rules:

Posts should be well formatted. Use paragraphs, punctuation, and capital letters appropriately. Excessive use of Netspeak/LOLspeak (internet slang) and texting shortcuts (b4, str8, etc) is not permitted. Posts with violations may be edited or deleted without notification.

abrahamavelar said:
do u have a water softener, my friend she never used dechlor in her tank cuz they had one but when they moved she didnt use it and killed all her fish over 3 days

{mod edit}Whats that? Is it in the tap?

Last edited by a moderator:
Fishkeeper26 said:
Don't you have well water? If so that's why

No I don't have well water. I still don't know {mod edit} why I've gotten away with it. Does tank size matter?

Last edited by a moderator:
If u ads water weekly wil the fish get shock?

The osmotic shock happens when there is a sudden large change in the TDS., such as going from a hard water such as would be in the rift lakes to soft water as in RO or rain. It isn't likey to happen by constant addition, only if there is a change.

As far as using tap water without dechlor, it depends on how big the change is (and the chlorine level). Small changes and the chlorine is neutralized in minutes without dechlor.

As far as using tap water without dechlor, it depends on how big the change is (and the chlorine level). Small changes and the chlorine is neutralized in minutes without dechlor.
I agree. There are a few variables at play here, but in general, it is not good advice to tell other people not to use dechlorinator IMO. If you read the municiple water reports for your area, they usually tell you whats all in the water. I find those reports helpful. :)

For the fish to die that quickly, it is not something to do with the usual tank parameters (nitrogenous wastes, DOC, etc). This doesn't have much to do with dechlorination (or lack there off) ... chloramines just don't kill that fast. <At least in the usual doses they have in water.>

I think a chemical poisoning is the most likely. possibilities:
1. The water co had added a lot chlorine as a flush during the repairs (you should smell it).
2. The water got contaminated with some kind of pesticide from the ground during the repair, or there are solvents, etc. they use that got into the water.
3. The bottle of nutrifin got contaminated with something. Something got spilled on the cap? maybe deliberate product contamination? <There was a sicko in town a few years back that added some poison to our lfs tank & liquid supplies & killed all the store's fish. They ended up having to throw out everything for fear of contamination.>

It is possible that this is a pH shock ... if the water composition is way off (say the water co made a mistake & make the water pH 10 or something.) Did you check the tap water for parameters after the repair work?

Back
Top Bottom