Mass Rainbow Death

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NigelK8485

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I just got back to my hotel from diving and checked my email and I got an email from my boyfriend telling me that all the rainbows in my tank are dying.

He said they all started going to the top of the water and jumping out. It's boesemani, turquoise, and Australian rainbows. He said everything else in the tank is perfectly fine, just the rainbows all started jumping out of the water at the same time.

Immediately I thought, knowing him, he probably touched my co2 and gassed the tank so I told him turn off the co2 completely, just unplug it for now, and do a fast water change with one of the spraybars still running to create more surface agitation.

I had him test the water which all checked out fine, 0-0-20.

I haven't heard back from him since telling him to do a water change but any other suggestions if it wasn't due to oxygen or tank parameters?

Of course this has to happen when I'm in Egypt, I'm never trusting him with my tank again.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

It's the sad reality how easy it is to mess up a tank. I would definitely look towards the co2 as the culprit though.

Caleb

What is the condition of the heater? It should be unplugged and inspected. The only times I've seen fish start to fly en masse for seemingly no reason is when there was an electrical current in the water.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

Ouch... A- how is he approaching the tank? Does he flick the lights on and run up to the glass? That usually sends a few out of my tank..
B- thought the internet was banned in Egypt? Interpol is going to be all over you son.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What is the condition of the heater? It should be unplugged and inspected. The only times I've seen fish start to fly en masse for seemingly no reason is when there was an electrical current in the water.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk

I thought of that too. I told him to stick his hand in the tank, figuring that if it isn't killing the fish it won't kill him, but I'm not sure if he actually did it. He reported though after the fast water change they all began swimming normally except one that was swimming around flipping around and spinning...maybe oxygen deprivation? I told him to just watch her and help hold her at the surface if she needs it. He swears he didn't touch anything to do with the co2 so I'm going to blame it on the aquatek regulator being so inconsistent, maybe it finally gave out. Luckily I ordered a GLA pro regulator and I'm sure he can figure out how to set it up.

Ouch... A- how is he approaching the tank? Does he flick the lights on and run up to the glass? That usually sends a few out of my tank..
B- thought the internet was banned in Egypt? Interpol is going to be all over you son.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Lights are all on timers and have never bothered the fish before. I truly hope he's not stupid enough to run up charging at the fish. Luckily though he said none of them died and the only one acting strange is the one mentioned above. As far as Internet, I can't speak for all of Egypt but our villa has it.

Ugh, that's terrible :( Can't say I know what the problem is. Try to get your boyfriend into fishkeeping so you don't have to worry about him with your tank anymore :lol:

That's crazy!
I imagine it freaked him out too, to all of a sudden have fish jumping left and right.
Hopefully they'll all recover okay.

Ugh, that's terrible :( Can't say I know what the problem is. Try to get your boyfriend into fishkeeping so you don't have to worry about him with your tank anymore :lol:

Trust me I've tried. He is only into big dogs. I, on the other hand, love every animal and love pets, he always gets all pissy when I mention a new pet or when I browse the pets section on Craigslist.

That's crazy!
I imagine it freaked him out too, to all of a sudden have fish jumping left and right.
Hopefully they'll all recover okay.

The latest news is that they're all fine. I'll have to count them when I get back home, though to be honest I don't even know how many I had. I'm sure he was freaking out, I would have loved to have seen it.

Back
Top Bottom