Massacre!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Koppriecht

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey all

Well I lost 16 fish over the last 2 weeks. I lost 3 Danios, 1 Gouramis (my favorite), 1 Loach, 1 Cherry barb, 5 Neon Tetras, 2 Minnows, 3 Guppies. They were all in my community tank and I have second tank for Cichlids. At the height of the slaughter my tank temperature was at 85 k and I had an ammonia reading of .5 ppm. Now it is as follows:

Temp = 79
ph = 8.3
Ammonia = .25
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 20
GH = 11
KH = 15

The Gouramis had missing pieces from his tail which I thought might be other fish nipping him. Is it possible I have a fish disease in the tank or do you think it was the temperature and ammonia being off? All that is left in the tank is 3 Guppies, 1 Danio, 1 minnow, and a pleco. All of them seem fine. I would have done more readings during this but I was busy with work. Also, these readings are after a 50% water change.

Try getting no ammonia
Is it fin. Rot

Sent from my Zeepad 7DRK using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ammonia at any level can make fish sick and can kill them if high enough and/or if they are already weaker and such. Do you have any idea how long the ammonia was at .50 ppm? You definitely want 0 ammonia!

I am so sorry for your loss, that's terrible :(

Not sure how long the ammonia was high. I put some prime in the tank and will change the water on Saturday. Looking into fin rot, could it kill multiple fish?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

The API freshwater kit will often show a slight hint of ammonia (a very faint green color) when no ammonia is present. If your tank is cycled and you're getting a slight ammonia reading but no nitrites, my guess is that you don't have an appreciable amount of ammonia in the tank.

The API freshwater kit will often show a slight hint of ammonia (a very faint green color) when no ammonia is present. If your tank is cycled and you're getting a slight ammonia reading but no nitrites, my guess is that you don't have an appreciable amount of ammonia in the tank.

Oh that's good to know, I didn't know that. Do you know why that is?

Not sure why, but I've witnessed it and have heard others comment on it as well.

If you saw a definite green color, you probably do have an ammonia spike. But if it just barely looked green when the test tube is held against a white background in a well-lit room, it very well may be a false positive. Especially when you have zero nitrites. It's very easy to detect low levels of nitrites with the API kit.

Not sure why, but I've witnessed it and have heard others comment on it as well.

If you saw a definite green color, you probably do have an ammonia spike. But if it just barely looked green when the test tube is held against a white background in a well-lit room, it very well may be a false positive. Especially when you have zero nitrites. It's very easy to detect low levels of nitrites with the API kit.

Back
Top Bottom