Mating, egg laying discus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Collatos

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello,

I got 3 discus in February after my one of 5 years died. Over time the 2 bigger ones hung out more together and kicked out the 3rd. Now after being away for 3 weeks I am home and there are eggs. They've completely kicked out the 3rd one, who hides in the corner. I'm thinking give the 3rd one back, but I don't rly want larvae, they will die in my tank. It's 75 gallons freshwater with live plants and 3 red tetras as well as 3 zebra tetras who are all very fat.

Any ideas? Does anyone want larvae?

It will really depend on your pH, GH and KH level wether they will turn into wigglers. Also, if you didn't physically see it happen, there's no way to guarantee if they've been fertilized or not. In other words, it may have been two females that have paired off. You'll know in about 24-36 hours what they case may be. If they turn white and fall off or they could possibly be eaten also. That can happen many times before the new parents finally get it right.

To offer them up for someone else to artificially raise is quite difficult. The water parameters MUST match exactly or they will die off. They're best with the parents. If they're a desirable, proven pair, you may have better luck selling them off together for some good $$$ and then go out and get a few others to replace them. If you need any other help, I'm happy to offer more assistance.

Back
Top Bottom