Max amount of gouramis in a 29 gal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

benjaminite22

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have four gouramis that are mixed breed and are getting along with each other ok. I also have three dwarf gouramis that are doing fine with the others too. I have a fluval aquaclear filter running at 200 gallons filtered per hour, plus a moss ball sitting at the bottom. Is this too many fish in this setup?

( my tank has plenty of places to hide with the big artificial driftwood caves, but unfortunately only plastic plants rather than live ones. )

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It really depends on the type of gourami. 4 sparkling gouramis maxing out at about 1.5 inches is a huge difference from 4 opaline gouramis that max out at 6 inches.

Out of curiosity, what kind of gourami's do you have?

1 blue gourami, 2.5 in
1 opaline gourami, 2.7 in
2 gold gouramis, 2.3 in
3 dwarf gouramis, 1.7 in

Unfortunately, I was too late in realizing that these fish were not all too compatible because of territorial fighting, but they are, like I said before, getting along ok.

If the fish size is too big to support my filtration, my friend is giving his aquaclear filter that filters 300 gallons per hour, and is meant for 40-70 gallon aquariums.

1 blue gourami, 2.5 in
1 opaline gourami, 2.7 in
2 gold gouramis, 2.3 in
3 dwarf gouramis, 1.7 in

Unfortunately, I was too late in realizing that these fish were not all too compatible because of territorial fighting, but they are, like I said before, getting along ok.

If the fish size is too big to support my filtration, my friend is giving his aquaclear filter that filters 300 gallons per hour, and is meant for 40-70 gallon aquariums.

The filtration estimation from Aqadvisor is completely useless. Just ignore it.

It's also true, gourami are super territorial between each other. But I have heard of people stocking a tank to the brim with them. The lack of space to set up territories calms down their aggression the same way African cichlids calm down.

As long as your params are fine, the filtration percent isn't really important. Filtration just needs decent flow and ample surface area.

Back
Top Bottom