Max tank hight for ADFs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skiweeangel

Aquarium Advice Addict
Have read several conflicting reports that have said ADFs need a max tank hight of (fill in the blank here). Does anyone know what is the max depth for these guys?

I wouldnt go anything deeper than 18 inches. I work at a lfs and we sell alot of these little guys. While they can do OK in something deeper than 18 inches, I noticed that that seems to be the drop off point where suddenly they dont seem to do as well.

I've read 24in from substrate to water line but IMO I'd keep it less if possible. At least add rocks or wood so if they don't want to go too deep they can control the depth.

I think 24 inches is fine. I gave my brother a 20H for his ADFs and they are fine.

I'd stick with 18" max. Especially when we're talking about young frogs purchased from a shop, which are typically malnourished and weak. Also keep in mind that the higher the tank is, the more crucial floating/tall plants are, sturdy ones the frogs can rest on. A young/old/sick frog in paticular need to be able to rest near the surface at times so they can easily surface for air.

I can't say a tank higher than this will not work. I have not tried ADF's in a tank higher than this, because I want to err on the side of caution.

i think 18 is the max i would go. i have a 10gal with them, but my friend fell in love with them when she came to visit and had a spare 55gal (jealous!) but i thought that might be too high. I'll tell her to just pick up a 10gal on sale, i'm sure she has enough equipment for it! I'll tell her 18" max.

siva said:
I'd stick with 18" max. Especially when we're talking about young frogs purchased from a shop, which are typically malnourished and weak. Also keep in mind that the higher the tank is, the more crucial floating/tall plants are, sturdy ones the frogs can rest on. A young/old/sick frog in paticular need to be able to rest near the surface at times so they can easily surface for air.

I can't say a tank higher than this will not work. I have not tried ADF's in a tank higher than this, because I want to err on the side of caution.

Do you always assume that pet stores do everything wrong.

Frogs in pet stores are most often kept in tanks w/ fish and are easily outcompeted for food. I couldn't count how many times I've seen or purchased emaciated frogs from lfs tanks. Not to mention they are typically very young frogs, that have just went on a journey getting to the store, and now it's likely they are being offered foods they aren't yet familiar with. Like all of our aquatic pets, we of course stand a better chance of getting healthy specimens from certain mom & pop shops.

I am not assuming anything.

Okay I just find it strange that most of u hate big box stores. My lfs is a giant petland. They here excellent service and I have only scene sick fish there once and it was a kissing gourami with ich that they were treating with high temp. The fish manager is very knowledgeable and has helped me set up my first tank. The only thing I don't like is that they charge for testing water with there five hundred dollar master test kit.

Back
Top Bottom