Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-07-2014, 12:46 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

May be wanting to switch up my communities in my tanks.... advice?

OK, I'm a beginner fish keeper but I do a lot of research. I may want to switch up the fish in my tanks (I have a 10 gallon and a 20 gallon). Everything appears to be going ok... both tanks are just really full, and i'm wondering if I should change stuff around. Also, I'm a fiddler. There may be a chance for a upgrade of the 10 to a 20 down the road.

OK, so NOW:

* 10 gallon contains: 7 White Clouds and 3 guppies (1 male and 2 females)
* 20 gallon contains: 2 male dalmation mollies and 7 cherry barbs (2 males and 5 females) and a handful of ghost shrimp (maybe four..)

According to Aq Advisor, both tanks and alittle over 100% but I have double the filtration i need.

I was considering moving the Mollies to the 10 gallon and moving the clouds and guppies to the 20 gallon tank.... but would that make things worse in the 20? Or should I keep the guppies with the mollies to keep live-bearers together... but that would be in the 10? I really like the idea of Mollies with the guppies b/c the mollies eat like there is no tomorrow and hopefully will eat the guppy fry. Should I leave everything as is?

Both tanks are cycled (ish, the 20 sometimes shows trace ammonia even though I have nitrates) and are planted. Thanks for any advice!

Old 03-09-2014, 08:17 AM   #2
AA Member
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I must admit I like it as is

Old 03-09-2014, 09:32 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Personally, you should put the mollies in the 10 gallon, and move the clouds. But what ever you want.
Old 03-09-2014, 10:22 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

May be wanting to switch up my communities in my tanks.... advice?

I always thought normal mollies needed more swimming space than a 10 ,20+ ? ,
Might depend on the type tho?
Sail fin mollies especially males always look really active and seem to grow larger than the normal molie ,
while balloon mollies seem a lot less active ,
Old 03-09-2014, 10:23 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I used to keep my mollies in a 10 gallon tank with a few guppies, and they were fine
Old 03-09-2014, 02:59 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I ended up moving the mollies to the 10 and putting the clouds in the 20 and the guppies. I'm getting a 20 today (another) and going to move the mollies to that. The poor mollies are moving a bunch but they got in a drag out fin biting battle that went on for a few minutes this am, so I think they would like more room.

Tank mate ideas for them, or just another Molly are maybe swordtails?
Old 03-09-2014, 03:40 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Some more mollies xD
Old 03-09-2014, 04:22 PM   #8
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

I am glad you got a 20g for the mollies. They can reach 4 inches, and really don't belong in a 10g tank long term if you want them to live their full lifespans and be able to grow properly.
IMO, you will be fine to keep the livebearers together and keep the schoolers in the other tank if you would like. You could also split up the mollies and keep one in each tank.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:04 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Mollies don't belong in a 10g. Keep them where they are.

Tags
advice, tan, tank, tanks, unit

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com