May end up evicted, need some suggestions on what to do for the fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Faelrin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
To give some context, my family is in a financial crisis right now, and if good luck doesn't come our way very soon, I fear we may end up evicted, and may have to move again, and possibly end up in a homeless shelter or motel again. The last time we ended up in motel, our lease had run out and we could not find a place in time. This time it could be much worse and different. During that time we gave them to my brother (even though he didn't really take care of them much). I know there's a possibly I could move them to my brother's again, but if he is not able to take them what options do I have if this comes to pass? I want to be prepared if the worst comes.

Sorry to read this Fae, Hope something turns up, you may be better letting your LFS take your fish back, you can store your tank and when things improve start again...........

How big is the tank? Maybe look at selling it and the fish for whatever you can get then waiting until you're back on your feet to buy another one. That way you'll have extra cash, won't have the financial burden of up keeping the tank, and if this thing happens again you won't have to worry about what to do with the tank.

Hope everything works out, though.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Look for a independently owned LFS. Most chains wont take them, sometimes PETCO will. Craigs list is another option which can get you a quick response especially if free or cheap. Just make sure you meet them in a public place & be safe!

I have my 29 gallon with my goldfish, and my ten gallon with my mollies. Thank you all for the advice though. Hopefully someone at the stores can take them, else there's craigslist as a last resort. Or well hopefully my brother can take them, but I kind of don't think the goldfish will be able to go, because that tank is big.

Depending on how long you'll be unable to care for the fish, some LFS fish stores are willing to let you keep your fish there "on vacation". I don't know how much they charge for this service, but it would be better care than your brother would do. I would only do that if you really can't bear to part with your fish though, as it sounds like you have bigger things to worry about than trying to take care of your fish. It would probably be best to just sell or donate them to your LFS instead so you can focus on taking care of your own needs first.

How many fish are we talking about? I know the salt water crowd so.etimes relies on each other for temporary housing of fish and corals when there's a disaster. Maybe some fellow hobbyists would be able to help.

I know if you were in my area I certainly wouldn't have an issue taking some fish in for a little while.

To give some context, my family is in a financial crisis right now, and if good luck doesn't come our way very soon, I fear we may end up evicted, and may have to move again, and possibly end up in a homeless shelter or motel again. The last time we ended up in motel, our lease had run out and we could not find a place in time. This time it could be much worse and different. During that time we gave them to my brother (even though he didn't really take care of them much). I know there's a possibly I could move them to my brother's again, but if he is not able to take them what options do I have if this comes to pass? I want to be prepared if the worst comes.

I don't really have anything else to add to what the other people said but I am so sorry about the situation you are currently in. I hope things get better soon. God bless. :flowers:

Sorry to hear about your struggles. I will pray for you that things get better and soon. You could take them to a local fish store and tear down the tanks, but store them at your brothers so you can get them back once you are established again and ready for fish keeping. With all your current stressors, one less thing to worry about, right?

I am so sorry to hear about this :( You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

I hope you can find a home for the fishes too. You're a really good person to be thinking about them as well in your time of crisis.

I am so sorry to hear this. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. I hope you can find a home for your fish.

Didn't mean to double post. Internet was being weird and didnt think the first one went through.

Sorry to hear. :( I don't really have any other suggestions then what people have suggested. Maybe post in the classifides here and see if anyone is close by and willing to baby sit?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thank you all for the support and suggestions. Of course as much as I'm hoping this won't come to pass, if it has to at least I now have an idea of what to do for my little fish friends.

I would also contact local AQ clubs and ask for help for someone to babysit your fish. Where are you located?

Sent from my VK810 4G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom