maybe a weird question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kathleen55

Aquarium Advice Freak
whats the fastest way to grow algae? not actually in my tank but in a bowl or something? just asking because i dont have enough algae in my tank for my algae eating fish

kathleen55 said:
whats the fastest way to grow algae? not actually in my tank but in a bowl or something? just asking because i dont have enough algae in my tank for my algae eating fish

Algae wafers! They are the bomb :)

OOOORRRR (or, this is no means necessary :)) you could take some rocks, plop them in water from the tank and put them in a container in the sun, leave it there for two to three hours, and wa-la! You got algae :)

it was just because i ran out of algae wafers. but good to know bout the rocks thanks!

Most, if not nearly all algae wafers actually have a very minimal amount of algae in them, and are pretty much just different shaped pellets. Read the ingredient label on your algae wafer container and see what it says.

What's with the desire to have algae anyway? It can be supplemented with a proper vegetable/spirulina pellet/wafer or actual vegetables.

There's a misconception that algae eaters like otocinclus must have visible algae in the tank in order to have something to eat, but the majority of what they actually eat is biofilm (and what's in the biofilm), so if the tank is established then they are probably fine.

jetajockey said:
Most, if not nearly all algae wafers actually have a very minimal amount of algae in them, and are pretty much just different shaped pellets. Read the ingredient label on your algae wafer container and see what it says.

What's with the desire to have algae anyway? It can be supplemented with a proper vegetable/spirulina pellet/wafer or actual vegetables.

There's a misconception that algae eaters like otocinclus must have visible algae in the tank in order to have something to eat, but the majority of what they actually eat is biofilm (and what's in the biofilm), so if the tank is established then they are probably fine.

That's true. I supplement my fish with all kinds of food ...

Back
Top Bottom