Maybe FW Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redsea

Aquarium Advice Addict
So after not having fish for a few months now, I an possibly considering setting up a tank again. If I do, it would be freshwater. I was thinking about tank sizes, and was thinking about a twenty gallon long, but I am not sure. As far as fish go, I would like a community tank. Most likely with fish like Platies, Corries, Tetras, and Rasboras. :) The fish selection isn't decided on either though. :)

To be honest, I really don't know a whole lot about freshwater tanks, so any info is welcome.

Just to reiterate, this is just a consideration, it is not yet set in stone that I will get a tank again. :)

Thank you!

So after not having fish for a few months now, I an possibly considering setting up a tank again. If I do, it would be freshwater. I was thinking about tank sizes, and was thinking about a twenty gallon long, but I am not sure. As far as fish go, I would like a community tank. Most likely with fish like Platies, Corries, Tetras, and Rasboras. :) The fish selection isn't decided on either though. :)

To be honest, I really don't know a whole lot about freshwater tanks, so any info is welcome.

Just to reiterate, this is just a consideration, it is not yet set in stone that I will get a tank again. :)

Thank you!
You obviously still have the itch, Go for it!!. Judging by the amount of posts you have under your belt your obviously not a novice. I don't think i could offer you any advice, student and master thing!!. Me being the student of course..lol. I'm sure it won't be long before you get advice off more experienced freshwater aquarists...If you go ahead, best of luck with it, i'm sure you won't need it!!!...Ian

Also, another thing on tank size.......

I am open to tank size suggestions, but I would need something that isn't very tall. :) That is why I was thinking of something like a 20g long. There are also 33g longs too, right? Thanks!

Also, another thing on tank size.......

I am open to tank size suggestions, but I would need something that isn't very tall. :) That is why I was thinking of something like a 20g long. There are also 33g longs too, right? Thanks!
Could you squeeze in a 55g??. Mine measures 100cm wide, 40cm deep, 50cm high....Sorry i always get my lengths and widths mixed up!!!

That would be cool, but if I did set up a tank I don't think my floor would support that weight (the tank would be going on the second floor). :)

Hey, word of advice just because I too was concerned about weight on a second floor. But through research I did most houses unless extremely old and fragile should have absolutely no problem holding the type of weight. Think of it like this "5-6 people standing tightly in a row"
That's roughy the weight of what the tank would be. Now if 5-6 people were all standing in the same area would you expect your floor to collapse? No most likely not. That's what convinced me. I now have a 75G and 40G on one stand and am having no issues. Just my experience though! Obviously still carry on
With some caution! Hope this helps

Hey, word of advice just because I too was concerned about weight on a second floor. But through research I did most houses unless extremely old and fragile should have absolutely no problem holding the type of weight. Think of it like this "5-6 people standing tightly in a row"
That's roughy the weight of what the tank would be. Now if 5-6 people were all standing in the same area would you expect your floor to collapse? No most likely not. That's what convinced me. I now have a 75G and 40G on one stand and am having no issues. Just my experience though! Obviously still carry on
With some caution! Hope this helps
Great advice, i agree, if it's possible, have a look at the floor joysis and see what direction they are going and try and line the stand up with them. They will definitely hold the weight....

Thanks for all your opinions everyone! I appreciate it! I didn't mention this, but this tank would probably be a low-tech planted tank. :)

So, I was thinking about the tank, and what equipment I need. What filter should I purchase? I should get one that is rated over my gallonage, correct? So, If I have a 40 gallon tank, what would you recommend for a filter? Also, on the topic of filters, what should I have inside it?

Thank you!

So, I was thinking about the tank, and what equipment I need. What filter should I purchase? I should get one that is rated over my gallonage, correct? So, If I have a 40 gallon tank, what would you recommend for a filter? Also, on the topic of filters, what should I have inside it?

Thank you!

I'd definitely over filter it. What kind of filter would work best for you situation. If you go HOB then I would go aquaclear 70 or better yet 110. If canister then fluval makes a great series of 06 filters that would work.

Also you could keep regular filter sponge of course along with carbon or some fine filter floss to catch the smaller particles in the water. And of course your bio media.

Thank you!
Hey Readsea, i use a TetraTec EX700(canister) on my 55g, which does the job but of course more is always better..I'm not sure if they are available in the US. Haven't heard anyone on here talking about them..All Pond Solutions make very affordable canisters(tetratec replicas), they come with or without built in UV sterlizers..Again i'm not sure if there available in the US and if you had to ship it probably wouldn't make sense!!!..They both come with all media supplied, i replaced my polishing pads with the stuffing from cheap bed pillows. The same stuff as filter wool but way cheaper, about $1, and will do me probably 1-2yrs..There is 'better' bio-media which you can add and Seachem Matrix has had very good reviews..
I also use Seachem Purigen, which i think is brilliant at keeping my water crystal clear. It is pretty cheap in the US and is re-chargable..On the filter, i would definitely go with the canister. So much easier to access/maintain..Just my 2 cents worth!!!..Hope this is some help..Ian

Back
Top Bottom