Maybe going brackish when I start new tank!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Habeas corpus

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Well, since I'm going to have to redo my tank to make sure to eradicate whatever killed my fish, I'm thinking about going brackish.

After reading some more at this site, I'm really liking the idea of getting a puffer. I have a 30 US Gal tank and a regular FW setup with over the back filter system. i also have an undergravel system , but understand I would not be using it if I went brackish.

What would y'all suggest to be a good puffer to go in my tank and what type of companion fish would you suggest. i'm not really wanting to make a marine tank, so I intend to stay on the weaker side of brackish water. Maybe some cichlids in with a puffer?

Your suggestions would be greatly appreciate by someone who has never had this type of tank.

The only cichlids i know of that are brackish are chromides from asia (and im not sure about them) so im not sure how happy they will be in brackish water.

Moving to the Freshwater/Brackish forum for more specific answers.

Cheers
Steve

Check out www.puffernet.tripod.com habeas; you should be able to locate the info you seek there. Do know most brackish puffers tend to be pretty agressive buggers, and some get rather larger as well.

There are some cichlids who would do ok in with puffers; certain africans are sometimes recommended as they too prefer the akaline waters that some puffers like.

If you are planning on a puffer then also plan on its food. Most puffers require predominatly live food to thrive. And the bigger puffers need to eat a lot of snails as the shells help keep the beak from growing too large. You will probably need to start a snail tank on the side to make sure you have a constant supply of the guys. And if that is the case get started now.

As for brackish water, much like marine water you have to be very specific with the salinity. You mentioned mild brackish but you have to make sure that it si the right brackish level for the fish you choose. Some brackish fish can adapt easy to different brackish levels, like mollies and guppies, while other need a more constant level.

And it is a good idea to get rid of the UGF.

for a 30 gallon tank you could do a spotted green puffer, they are more active and cute... but varying opinions exist about the salinity of water... they definately brackish fish though they are usually sold in freshwtaer tanks from lfs. Some have gone full marine... others stayed with brackish and all have done fine.
For you.. I would definately suggest a figure 8 puffer.. freshwtare to light brackish is uaully suggeste for them. They aren't as agressive as the green spotted puffers and are fun too.
Remember that puffers require a LOT of filtration.. they have no scales and are sensitive guys. I wouldn't suggest keeping a UGF, a waste of time in my opinion, but to each his own :wink: - what filtration do you have?

Back
Top Bottom