mbuna/malawi community in a 90 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have dumped the Copadichromis sp. (Mloto fluorescent) and the Aulonocara stuartgranti (Chilumba) from my previous list. When one looks at the list above, are there other species that could be considered? I only know what I read and I don't have any experince with these fish.

I don't have any experince with these fish.
neither do i, neither do i :wink: . but oh well, i pretend... :mrgreen:

back to the point, besides the food-related issue, which i think really is a non-issue, the real reason behind secluding the mbuna from the non-mbuna is the differences in behavior. the mbuna are far more aggressive and boisterous in nature than non-mbuna.
in the wild, these two groups do come in contact, but the non-mbuna have a chance of escaping into the open waters while threatened. but in the confines of the aquarium, if a red zebra decides that the lithobates is a threat to its territory, it'll chase it till it cowers in a corner, afraid to display its normal colors.

so its better not to mix too many mbuna (other than the zebra/labs/acei). from the non-mbuna group, there are certainly many other choices that you can pick out. i'd recommend having a nimbochromis sp. (venustus/livingstonii). the male looks wonderful in its breeding dress, but gorgeus otherwise too.

as regards to buying them, the cheapest and most enjoyable way is to stock 5-6 juvies of each species and them adjust the sex ratios as they grow up. a good line of food does wonders to color them up and make them grow fast. as i mentioned before, the NLS is the most-vaunted.

but keep in mind that the peacocks are the ugly ducklings in this hobby. they'll color up the last, but will the pride of your tank.

as i mentioned before, if we were supposed to keep these fish in right conditions, nothing less than the lake would suffice :wink: .

any nimbochromis sp. would theoretically need a 200+ gallon tank (this coming from people who actually keep adults of this sp.). but a single pair (or just a male)can and has been kept in 90+ gallon tanks.

also, their predatory nature is directed towards the fry of smaller mbuna. and their hunting technique is unique and worth-watching.

I'm overwhelmed with info on these malawi cichlids. There seems to be so much to know. I'm hung-up on having a big tank with lots of colorful fish in it, so I figured the malawi cichlids would be they way to go. At one time I didn't think I was going to get a bigger tank, but my wife has seen how dedicated (actually her word for it is obsessed) I am to the 3 tanks I have and I think that she recognizes it is really not that expensive of a hobby. Anyway, I hope I can get the 90 gallon tank and I've got months of research to do before I actually get it.

Someone metioned these tanks can be overcrowded if filtered correctly. I'm planning on using an Aquaclear 110 (500 gph) and a new Penguin BioWheel 350 which would give me 850 gph. I tend to over-filter my tanks as many of you may know.

Someone metioned these tanks can be overcrowded if filtered correctly
you heard right. but this applies more for a mbuna tank. they generally stay in rocky areas with a high packing-density (lack of a better word). the non-mbunas are from open waters (generally) and don't like crowding that much.
however, each tank is different.

as regards to filtration, 850gph is good enough. although i'd suggest 2 AC110's (i'm badly biased towards AC's).

I have an adult nimbo that is about 7 inches right now. Beautiful fish. I wouldn't put him in anything less than a 100 gal tank. He's not becoming aggressive to any of the other fish yet, but I expect him to when he wants to start mating. He has actually been kind of chasing one of the adult haps, but not really biting at him, just chasing and kind of nipping every once in a while.

If I were you, I would use two canisters instead of hob's. Africans are VERY messy and need extra filtration. I do about 30% water change weekly, making sure to clean the sand VERY well. When you start getting into the larger tanks 55+, I find it easier to maintain with canisters. We used to have the Africans in a 55 gal with a hob and we always had issues with Nitrates and not perfectly clear water. When we switched over to a canister, the water clarity was amazing. They were the same fish, just changed out the filter. The brand is entirely up to you, everyone has their favorite canister. :D

Well, what kind of canister do you recommend? I like that HOT Magnum 350 with the BioWheel attachment. I think you can do BioWheels on just about any canister though. That may pump-up my price too. However, I'd like to get used to working with canisters. I'm gonna have a cabinet underneath to hide them in.

Every person has their favorite brand. Someone will chime in and tell you to get Fluvals or Eheims or Renas. They are all the same in regards to flexibility. I personally use Cascade's. Currently I have 3 (1 on the 55 gal and 2 on the 150 gal). If you were going to go with that line, I'd suggest 2 1000's. It says that they are rated for 100 gal tanks, but I use one on the 55 gal and love it. They are VERY simple to setup and maintenance is a breeze. But again, the brand you choose is up to you. Everyone has their favorite. :D Its basically what you are comfortable with.

All I have is my least favorite canister.. the Magnum 350 and 330(they quit making it in 1990).. If you want the bio-wheel attachment it can be used with any canister and its sold separately.. I like pretty much all of the rest of them, I would just get wich ever one I could get the best deal on and would be big enough for the application..

maybe it was an isolated case, but i have had a lot problems with my fluval 304 on my 40g. the flow rate would drop to dangerous levels. but i regained the original flowrates after cleaning out the intake pipe and using a sponge prefilter.

from then on i've decided to keep it simple to the point where i can see the operation of the filter and take necessary action in case something goes wrong.

just my two cents though. many people have had a lot of success with canisters.

Back
Top Bottom