Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-22-2012, 03:47 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Me and My Stupid Impulse Buys!

I bought a betta on an impulse today. Well not a bad impulse.... I have a tank cycled and all and I have been wanting a betta..... but the tank has fish fry in it! To make matters worse the fry have started showing some fungus looking stuff on them! I didnt notice it until after I bought the fish!
So should I just put the betta in there and treat them all? Or do they even need treatment? They just have a little white stuff on the edges of them. Yesterday was stressful with 2 water changes because the tank moved...... Thoughts?

Old 02-22-2012, 04:05 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to kdpuffer
I wouldn't put it in with them, of you have another tank put it in there or take it back. You could use a bucket or large bowl/vase to house it till you treat the tank, do daily water changes if you go this route. As for treating the fry I would suggest getting a picture and posting it so we can identify the issue and suggest proper treatment.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:17 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I do not have a camera capable of getting the pic. They are still to small. They just have a small amount of white fuzz on them.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:31 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I just looked at them again and it is only 2 fry that are affected I think. My guppies did the same thing when I had a ph problem. Probably stress induced. I will probably add some of the fungus stuff I have leftover and then do a water change tomorrow and add him then.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:49 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Just be careful when treating fry, very delicate. As for the betta, welcome to my world. After 5 betta do you think I learned my lesson, no of course not! Its the eyes and their voices 'pick me, aw aren't I cute?' I get sucked right in. Lol
Old 02-22-2012, 04:56 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starka View Post
Just be careful when treating fry, very delicate. As for the betta, welcome to my world. After 5 betta do you think I learned my lesson, no of course not! Its the eyes and their voices 'pick me, aw aren't I cute?' I get sucked right in. Lol
lol I cant have anymore because I have tanked my house out lol I had this 5 gallon and wanted a betta lol I think I am just going to put him in there. From my understanding fungus isnt contagious anyway. If the betta gets it I have meds. Besides he was in a cup. The meds probably wouldnt hurt either way..... I am thinking I will just get rid of the 2 fry that are not looking good.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:27 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodFan
lol I cant have anymore because I have tanked my house out lol I had this 5 gallon and wanted a betta lol I think I am just going to put him in there. From my understanding fungus isnt contagious anyway. If the betta gets it I have meds. Besides he was in a cup. The meds probably wouldnt hurt either way..... I am thinking I will just get rid of the 2 fry that are not looking good.
There is always more room for 1 more tank
Do you have a QT? Maybe some fresh water will help. I know my betta had some fungus on him and gave him a 90% water change every two days without using any meds, he came out fine. Now he is one fat happy betta. Lol
Old 02-22-2012, 09:24 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starka View Post
There is always more room for 1 more tank
Do you have a QT? Maybe some fresh water will help. I know my betta had some fungus on him and gave him a 90% water change every two days without using any meds, he came out fine. Now he is one fat happy betta. Lol
lol not according to Mom there isnt. I even tried to convince them to let me replace my 5 gallon with a 20 long lol
I do not have a QT. I put him in there anyway. His first reaction was to chase the fry. Then he chased the cories. So I fed him and he ate like it was the first time he had been fed in a year. Then he bit a malaysian trumpet snail.... I dont think I am going to be able to add the shrimp like I wanted lol
Unfortunately, before I learned what I know now I had a betta with SERIOUS fungus (like growing half an inch out of the side of his body) and I did nothing for him and he pulled through. So hopefully it will go away. Or maybe he will eat the infected fry and we can move on lol
Old 02-22-2012, 09:33 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Unless you WANT the baby fry to be eaten, then keep the beta out of there!!! They eat each other if you put them in the same tank for heavens sake! And DO treat the tank! The fungus crap WILL spread!!! If you leave it it will only get worse!!! Especially with babies!!! You need to use caution with fish, treat anything wrong, and NEVER EVER in your entire life put a beta with SMALL, EDIBLE, SICK, FRY!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-22-2012, 09:47 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alia258 View Post
Unless you WANT the baby fry to be eaten, then keep the beta out of there!!! They eat each other if you put them in the same tank for heavens sake! And DO treat the tank! The fungus crap WILL spread!!! If you leave it it will only get worse!!! Especially with babies!!! You need to use caution with fish, treat anything wrong, and NEVER EVER in your entire life put a beta with SMALL, EDIBLE, SICK, FRY!!!!!!!!!!!
I hope he eats the sick ones lol I think it is stress induced and will go away on its own. I saw something similar on stressed guppies before. I did learn that bettas are rough to start with fry lol This is actually the most aggressive betta I have eve seen (I think it was half starved). But like I said this was a semi-impulse buy lol. If he eats the fry its not a big deal. He hides alot. I need to 1) deflect the flow from the filter and 2) figure out how to "plant" the tank the way I want. I am going to have a bunch of roots hanging in the water eventually.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:49 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well if you're not worried about the fry getting eaten, it's alright. I just wanted to make sure you knew, and I it was m tank I'd never do that (I'm a hopeless animal lover) but if its not gonna bother you, it sure isn't gonna bother me ^^
Old 02-22-2012, 09:52 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alia258 View Post
Well if you're not worried about the fry getting eaten, it's alright. I just wanted to make sure you knew, and I it was m tank I'd never do that (I'm a hopeless animal lover) but if its not gonna bother you, it sure isn't gonna bother me ^^
It doesnt bother me because he will just have them gone in one quick bite if he gets them. Plus honestly I didnt really want the fish in the first place. I wanted to watch the fry grow up and then go to the pet store to be sold lol Thanks for the heads up!
Old 02-22-2012, 09:52 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Pics
Old 02-22-2012, 10:00 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Danio View Post
Pics
I will get pics when I can. Right now he is hiding alot. Probably adjusting.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:10 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Haha ok

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com