mean black platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pedikeens11

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have this one black molly that chases all my other fish around but hovers over my cory catfish. Is this normal behavior?

I've never had much luck with Molly's =\ but when I did have them from what I can tell it is odd maybe Geting the Molly some Friends would make the behaves stop...like 2more Molly's.

Yeah there's two others in their with her and she chases them around till they are hiding but hangs out with the cory catfish. I think she waiting for them to do all the work in finding something so she can steal it....

I have two guppies 2cory catfish and the three mollies (receipt from petco names on other mollies) black platy, sunburst wag platy and red mickey. I made sure they were all females. I don't kno the first thing about baby fish and eggs and what not.

I have two guppies 2cory catfish and the three mollies (receipt from petco names on other mollies) black platy, sunburst wag platy and red mickey. I made sure they were all females. I don't kno the first thing about baby fish and eggs and what not.

I have heard that if you have all females, one will kind of become a bully. I have never experienced this, as I have two female platies and one male, but I would say that it's normal :)

Should I get a male to balance her out? Take her out? Leave her? Hate to see her chasing these guys around.

Should I get a male to balance her out? Take her out? Leave her? Hate to see her chasing these guys around.
If you got a male, it would harass the females, which is normal, but it would probably make matters worse. I'm not really sure :( ... Is she just chasing them around, or is she actually attacking the others?

It's usually 3f : 1m on Mollys. My female Molly actually killed my male and another female. Sometimes there is one who is just aggressive. If you get a male to balance her out and they will have babies. Unless you catch her in time to keep the fry separate, they will get eaten. When I had males and females, I only saved one fry.

It's usually 3f : 1m on Mollys. My female Molly actually killed my male and another female. Sometimes there is one who is just aggressive. If you get a male to balance her out and they will have babies. Unless you catch her in time to keep the fry separate, they will get eaten. When I had males and females, I only saved one fry.

Omg it killed a male?

Sounds like a dominance thing.

For live bearers, breeding is all they do. On most occasions when only females are present, one will be more dominant and bully the others. The more dominant one is acting as a male.

I had a trio of females for my male molly. The male died and a female became more dominant and then i noticed she had changed into a he. They do this to keep the babies coming, to put it bluntly. If there is an absence of a male, one of the more dominant females takes his place.

Not saying this will happen , but it could help you better understand what she is doing.

Sounds like a dominance thing.

For live bearers, breeding is all they do. On most occasions when only females are present, one will be more dominant and bully the others. The more dominant one is acting as a male.

I had a trio of females for my male molly. The male died and a female became more dominant and then i noticed she had changed into a he. They do this to keep the babies coming, to put it bluntly. If there is an absence of a male, one of the more dominant females takes his place.

Not saying this will happen , but it could help you better understand what she is doing.

It literally changed into a male!?!?!

This is so weird...ok I'm gona stick it out...cause if I remove her another will just take her place...and a male...I can't handle babies...thanks tho

This is so weird...ok I'm gona stick it out...cause if I remove her another will just take her place...and a male...I can't handle babies...thanks tho

I would recommend just sticking it out , as you said. Even f you did get a male most of the babies would be eaten by the parents and tank mates.

It literally changed into a male!?!?!

Yea, she was a he. It was creepy waking up and doing a head count. All fish were there but i had a male and not a female!!!!

Back
Top Bottom