Mean ghost shrimp...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cjldad

Aquarium Advice Freak
Got my son another dozen of ghost shrimp since the last batch we had finally died out.. Not sure if it is the same shrimp, but I have found them eating fish twice now.. First was a 4 month old baby black molly.. He had been fine, came back 2 hours later and he was in the clutches of a ghost shrimp.. Just yesterday, came home after a day away and found a pristilla tetra (about an inch long) being consumed alive.. Not sure, but think one of them got into my floating breeder tank and took out another 1 month old molly.. He just diappeared...

Sound right to anyone? I can only guess the fish were weak and got taken out.. I can't imagine a healthy fish being taken down by one of those shrimp.. Maybe they formed a gang...

I really doubt a ghost shrimp killed any fish. They'll scavenge a dead or dying body, but that's about it. What are your water parameters?

Some stores sell shrimp as ghost shrimp, but I've heard that sometime other look-alikes that eat fish get thrown in the mix. I'd keep an eye out for any fish eaters and get rid of them post-haste.

Back
Top Bottom