mean tiger barbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

coolkidthatlike

Aquarium Advice Activist
hi, i have a school of 6 tiger barbs (3 albino and 3 regular) and i recently got a red fin shark to put in with them, because i was told they are compatable, and since they are both semi aggresive fish, they would get along together. He is usually in hiding, but i noticed today that he was out, and a couple of the barbs were picking on him. What should i do?

How big is the tank. Sometimes if things are crowded then aggresion will be stronger. But it sounds like they are just getting territories straightened out and things will settle down. You can speed this up by moving some of the tank decorations around as this starts the territories back to the beginning. The shark should eb able to take care of himself in the long run.

well, thanks for the advice, but sadly the shark just died today. :cry: :cry: :cry: i am not sure what was wrong with him. I did get him from walmart, so maybe he was sick in the first place. I dont know if it was sceptima, because he has red fins in the first place. Before he died, he was swimming really wierd, like in spasms he would dart around the tank. He also started floting belly up, then he would straighten himself out. Do you think i could try to get another one, and hope that he wasnt sick? the tank is a 10 gallon, but i am trying to upgrade to a 20. any advice will be appreciated.

20 gallons will be needed for that shark (and only keep 1). How old is the tank? It could be ammonia or nitrite poisoning if the tank is new. If that is the case then you will need to wait until the cycling finishes with the fish you have before adding another one in. Some fish are weaker than others, espeically when you first get them (all that travelling causes stress) and are more prone to attack from bad water conditions than those already established in the tank. Buy some test kits if you can before adding more fish.

well, i knew that eventually i would need a 20 gal. he was small when i bought him, and i thought that i could get a 20 gal. before he got too big. I know only to keep one, because they will get aggresive with each other. the tank was a couple of months old (about 2) It for sure wasnt ammonia poisoning, because i checked the ammonia just yesterday, and it said that there wasnt any. I also have a PH test kit, and the ph wasnt that high (about 7.2). the only thing i could think of would be nitrite poisoning. i am just so sad, i was so happy to find a fish that i really liked that got along with barbs, and now he is dead! p.s. what are kudos???

When you get that 20 gallon setup make some nice caves for your new shark. And hopefully it will be a lot sturdier.

As far as I can tell Kudos are the thanks you get for answering questions. I don't know if you can do something with them?

well, i do have 2 (caves) one is fairly small and the other is a big sculpture with a hole in the middle. i think that he would have enough hiding spots, because with the one that died, he was always hiding. man, i just dont have the money. dang. anything else???

It sounds like it could have just been a bad fish. I definatly don't like to buy fish that just arrive. If it is possible try to get 1 the day before a new batch arrives. That should be at least a week of settled in time and any really sick ones should be showing their sickness by then. The WalMart near me gets their new fish in on Thursdays, so if I need to buy their I like to go on Wednesday.

Kudos explanation:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=121

Sorry about your shark, coolkid, bummer.

If you can, find a good lfs to deal with. We hear more bad stories about walmart fish than almost anything here. A good lfs will not even sell the fish until they have been in the store for a few days, and the overall quality of care should be better. Good luck with your next one!

thanks a lot. well the walmart here gets them in on thursday, too. I actually always tried to get them on thurs. because they usually all die off by the end of the week (thats walmart for you). Well, actually my lfs does carry the sharks, and i think i will buy from them next time. do you guys think that it would be safe to get him soon? or should i wait for a while. i could get him today (same day my shark died) if i wanted too. oh, also, do you guys think that i am ok with a 10 gal untill he gets pretty big?
p.s when u donate kudos, does it take away from your total?

hey coolkid,
First, with the Kudos, they go down when you donate but it eventually comes full circle when you help someone else out.

I didnt think about buying fish on the last day at Wal-murderers :twisted: .
That sure is a different way of looking at it. It makes sense, actually. The only think I can add is that it would prolly be a good idea to quarantine the new arrival for about 2 weeks just to make sure before you just toss him in with the rest. What does everyone think of that?

Good luck coolkid :wink:

In an established tank quarantining is a great idea. If you go and get that 20 gallon tank then you can keep the 10 gallon as a quaratine tank for future fish arrivals.

that was actually what i was planning on doin. thanks a lot for all the help. Now i just need the money! :D

Back
Top Bottom