Meanest fish ever!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
DGAFPolar said:
not sure, ill do a test tomorrow with all the levels, if it is way too high, would taking the barbs out and reestablishing the tank to a proper cycle be too much for the barbs to handle?

If nitrate is over 20ppm do water changes to bring it down. Take your media and swish it about in a bucket of tank water. That is all you need to do to bring it down. No need to tear down tanks and recycle.

My barbs were added last, they didn't come out of the corner in the tank in two days. My kribs are very aggressive and can handle their selfs the gourami does his own thing, my betta actually chases the barbs.

I'm no expert but maybe the key is to get aggressive fish that can handle their own?

As for the Rts he was died probably cause of stress. And being in a small tank.

DGAFPolar said:
yea, it seems every bit of trouble i have ever had with my tank has been odd levels. no worries, i will have it taken care of tomorrow. could my filters be holding anything bad in them? i have a good build up on them and i'd hate to waste it

Clean them off in a bucket of tank water.

Sharkbait54 said:
My barbs were added last, they didn't come out of the corner in the tank in two days. My kribs are very aggressive and can handle their selfs the gourami does his own thing, my betta actually chases the barbs.

I'm no expert but maybe the key is to get aggressive fish that can handle their own?

As for the Rts he was died probably cause of stress. And being in a small tank.

Or maybe your fish have not matured

Mumma.of.two said:
And I'm saying that's probably why they get along. That's all. You can have a tank full of juvie fish that get along but once they mature it's a different story.

His are an inch also that's why I think it's weird his are do aggressive. But in the end it all depends on the fish.

I'm fixing to remove the betta cause when those barbs find out they are barbs he's a goner. :(

Mumma.of.two said:
And I'm saying that's probably why they get along. That's all. You can have a tank full of juvie fish that get along but once they mature it's a different story.

I agree with you juvies and fish that are sexually mature are absolutely 2 different fish.

Sharkbait54 said:
His are an inch also that's why I think it's weird his are do aggressive. But in the end it all depends on the fish.

I'm fixing to remove the betta cause when those barbs find out they are barbs he's a goner. :(

Haha that's good. Bettas think they are all that but are really just sooks.

Thinking the OPs fish are dying of other causes (like high nitrate and/or ammonia/ nitrite).

Mumma.of.two said:
Haha that's good. Bettas think they are all that but are really just sooks.

Thinking the OPs fish are dying of other causes (like high nitrate and/or ammonia/ nitrite).

Completely agree they are dying to fast.

DGAFPolar said:
yea, water lvls are fine, i change the water every month and do an evaporation refill every 2 weeks. if it was the water then why have the barbs outlasted over 12 other animals? i mean the barbs were the first ones in

Now I know this is the way you do It but why don't you try to do a pwc every 2 weeks. That would help alot if the problem is nitrates.

Personally I do a pwc every week on all my tanks.

Ok so my lvls are all messed up, im gonna do a few water changes and make sure there's nothing left on the floor. Then im gonna wash out the filters like you guys suggested. I have friend who has an 80 gal take with a TON of barbs in it, he said he would take my barbs if they were all good after a few day in his isolation tank. So now that the barbs are gone what would you guys suggest for a 20 gal tank that is now totally empty. I would love active fish who use the whole tank to play and i would like something to help with the brown algae. I am thinking of 2 snails, but will they eat the brown? Also i'm getting a 15 gal tall tank for Christmas, any ideas on a good set up for it?

DGAFPolar said:
Ok so my lvls are all messed up, im gonna do a few water changes and make sure there's nothing left on the floor. Then im gonna wash out the filters like you guys suggested. I have friend who has an 80 gal take with a TON of barbs in it, he said he would take my barbs if they were all good after a few day in his isolation tank. So now that the barbs are gone what would you guys suggest for a 20 gal tank that is now totally empty. I would love active fish who use the whole tank to play and i would like something to help with the brown algae. I am thinking of 2 snails, but will they eat the brown? Also i'm getting a 15 gal tall tank for Christmas, any ideas on a good set up for it?

Ok. Make sure if you have ammonia/nitrites they stay below 0.25ppm. If you have more than 0 of each you are mini cycling. Try and keep your nitrates under 20ppm by doing weekly PWC. You don't want to leave your tank empty too long or the BB will die. You can dose with pure ammonia if it's going to be more than a few days.

How old is the tank? If it's young the brown algae is diatoms. They will clear on their own in a few months. Try can show in mature tanks too.

Is it a 20gal long or tall? What type of fish are you interested in?

Like most ppl do and I have done is a pair of apistos most are hardy and very beautiful,accompanied by a school of smaller tetras and for bottom feeders,I recommend khuli loaches they are so cool!!

I see in your sig you don't have the barbs any more? You get rid of them?

Back
Top Bottom