Medications on Hand a Good Idea?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nerdelish

Aquarium Advice Freak
I haven't finished cycling my tank yet so I don't have any fish right now... but I am wondering if there are good medications to have on hand and if so what are they?

The only thing I keep on hand is Methylene Blue. It can be hard to find, but dips with it are good remedies.

Good water parameters prevent most diseases

Depends how far you are from a lfs imo. I've got a few difficult to order ones. The rest have just accumulated.

Antibiotics can expire..
I like to have rid ich,praziquantel, MB ,and copper on hand.
The copper most won't need and I say beginners should stay away from.
I keep H2O2(hydrogen peroxide for algae issues) ,and Potassium Permaganate(PP), for dissolved organic issues.
The PP has many medical uses but again like copper not for beginners IMO.
I stock and extra heater and air pump also incase of late night emergency.

Antibiotics can expire..
I keep H2O2(hydrogen peroxide for algae issues) ,and Potassium Permaganate(PP), for dissolved organic issues.
The antibiotic expiration date is pretty much useless. The fda requires an expiration date on medications so they slap a random one on. The government has a warehouse full if antibiotics that are more than 20 years past their expiration date that they tested, almost all of them were still viable.

Thats a pretty good list though.

Antibiotics can expire..

I'll look into these, thanks for the help. I have a 10 gallon tank I have set aside to be a hospital or quarantine tank and I have an extra air pump and heater for that. I'm keeping a sponge filter in my 29 gallon tank to ensure that there won' be cycling problems if I do end up with sick fish...this is all preemptive stuff.

I'll look into these, thanks for the help. I have a 10 gallon tank I have set aside to be a hospital or quarantine tank and I have an extra air pump and heater for that. I'm keeping a sponge filter in my 29 gallon tank to ensure that there won' be cycling problems if I do end up with sick fish...this is all preemptive stuff.
Always better safe then sorry.(y)
The cycled sponge is a great touch but really much better for a QT as opposed to hospital tank.Although the meds I listed (besides copper and PP) wont kill the bb in a filter ,most hospital tanks are served just as well with daily water changes instead of a cycled filter.You still want filter for water /surface movement.
Some meds(antibiotics) will kill the BB in a cycled filter which mitigates the cycled filter!(and then you need to change water,hint,hint)
The water changes are extra" good medicine" , and often the cause of the fish issue to begin with IMO(lack of water changes that is!).
Good luck and welcome to fish keeping you asked a good question!
Almost EVERY disease is easier to treat and cure if you are on top of the game(early detection).
Enjoy!

I didn't know that meds could kill BB. Thanks for letting me know! I'll keep the water changes thing in mind. I have been changing my 29 gallon's water every day trying to keep nitrites down so I am getting used to the fish keeping water routine. I can't wait to start stocking! Thanks for the help. :thanks:

I was going to post a share on this for a new research thread but I've just been treating a fish in a cycled QT. After 5 days of triple sulpha and furan 2, I noticed last night the ammonia was starting to creep up. Not 0.25 but no longer 0 as well.

Back
Top Bottom