Membrane on Driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishfairy

Aquarium Advice Activist
The driftwood in my tank has started to develop a whitish clear membrane on some of it's spots. I have read on some threads that this is normal for a new piece of driftwood, but I want to be sure since this isn't covering the entire piece. It has only started forming on a few small spots of the driftwood. I touched it and it kind of wiggled but didn't really break up (I didn't try to break it up really. I just wanted to see how strong it was). I took some pics and circled the areas. I'm not sure how well you can see it, but here they are.

Is this normal or is it some kind of mold?

Attachments

• dwfilm1_939.jpg
    dwfilm1_939.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 25
  • dwfilm2_890.jpg
    dwfilm2_890.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 25
  • dwfilm3_457.jpg
    dwfilm3_457.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 29
It's normal and will go away with time. I had it for about a month then one day it was gone.

Do you have any snails in the tank? Pic number 2 looks like normal "fuzz" but one and three sort of resemble snail eggs.

Zagz said:
Do you have any snails in the tank? Pic number 2 looks like normal "fuzz" but one and three sort of resemble snail eggs.

Nope no snails in the tank. Actually all 3 of them look the same, but the pics kind of made them look weird.

LOL, I wouldn't worry yet. I had fuzz start on a couple of pieces of my driftwood. Boiling them solved the problem.

Oh ok. Well I think I've boiled this thing about as much as I can. It's too big to really fit in a pot. I guess I'll wait and let it go away on it's own. Good to know it's normal though.

Back
Top Bottom