Mentally challenged fish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Emi929

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So, I have a sunset platy and I've had her for 2 yrs. The first few months I noticed she would slam into the glass and have seizures. I took her to a freshwater aquatic animal vet to see what was wrong. He kept her for 2 months in immaculate conditions for observation. Long story short, he came to the conclusion that she was epileptic, and somehow brain damaged. She gets 1 drop of an anti-convulsant, and has been doing well. She has been jumping out of the water lately though. Tank params are: Amm: 0, Ni: 0, Na: 5. Temp: 75, pH: 7.5 as always, but she is like splashing out of the water. She has her own 5g and has always been there, with a snail, and some ghost shrimp. Do you think I should take her back to the vet? :-/

greetings emi;

does your aquarium have plants [live ones, ofcourse] that she can interact with? back when i used an remarkably small aquarium [~28 gallons(?) 50 litres.], the platies i had liked to seek shelter under the filter, due to the plants growing around it in the corner, making it dark like a cave, i suspect. 5 gallons is unbelievably tiny, i'm stunned by this.

sincerely;
nrk.

Sorry!! I forgot the 1! It's a 15gal not 5!! That would be bad. Yes there is lots of dwarf hair grass, a fairly good amount of java moss, a bubble wall, an air stone that opens like a clam with bubbles, and a small piece of mopani wood. She always plays with the bubbles from the clam, but could it be that she needs a play mate? I remember the vet said that the anti-convulsants are harmless to non-epileptic fish, but the water needs to be REALLY oxygenated for her. Will that harm her if I put another platy in? Will the platy not like the oxygenated water?

That's so nice you kept the mentally challenged fish. Most people would just flush it because it's too much work. Nice job!

Back
Top Bottom