merky water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

natman16

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a filter i my tank more than capable for the water capacity do regular water changes any ideas to why water looks dirty

Describe the murkiness. Is it white, yellow? Can you see particles floating?

Yellowy brown colour i have sand in bottom will that have anythin to do with it

Ya there are colored compounds called tannins in wood (same compounds that make tea brown). They won't hurt your fish. You can either just keep living with it til they all leach out or take out the driftwood and leach it.

Here is a link with some info on preparing driftwood for tanks.
http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/driftwood.php
I've heard that if it's too big to boil in a pot you can run it in the dish washer on hot without any soap or other chemicals.

No I don't. I'd never do do when I have any fish. Its just to stressful for them to have to be netted and to habe the water chemistry change do drastically. I assume if there was something really dangerous in the water i might do so but really not worth it otherwise. Pwcs ate just better for the fish.

If your looking to clear your water just do 50% pwc once a day and it will clear. The colour is also harmless and won't stain things at that concentration.

Do you run carbon in your filter?
Carbon can be added when tannins are leached and it will do a decent job at removing them. Its not going to make a HUGE difference and wont replace water changes. But it will help to some extent.

christine2012 said:
Do you run carbon in your filter?
Carbon can be added when tannins are leached and it will do a decent job at removing them. Its not going to make a HUGE difference and wont replace water changes. But it will help to some extent.

I didn't think of that...I have a planted tank so I don't bother with carbon. But it's probably a good quick tannin fix.

If you do have carbon put in new stuff. It gets saturated and stops working after about 2weeks.

FishontheRock said:
If you do have carbon put in new stuff. It gets saturated and stops working after about 2weeks.
Yes, after about two weeks, carbon can start leaching nasties back into your water. You can get a jug of carbon and instead of wasting money on carbon bags you can just reuse the same bag. Just replace the carbon inside.

Thanks alot for the help could i just go to were i got fish from to get the carbon

Back
Top Bottom