Metal content in outside rocks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dreamroper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a LOT of different sized and colored rocks around my house. I wash things carefully before putting them in my tank, but is there a possibility any of these rocks could raise my PH? I'm already on well water, so I was wondering if I should take some if not all of the rocks out of my tank. I don't have a ton of them in there, but I have a nice piece of manzanita that would be fine with the plants as far as appearance. The rocks are nice, but not at the expense of my water quality. The PH is holding steady at about 7.6 after spiking last weekend to over 8.2.

Thanks-D

I have a LOT of different sized and colored rocks around my house. I wash things carefully before putting them in my tank, but is there a possibility any of these rocks could raise my PH? I'm already on well water, so I was wondering if I should take some if not all of the rocks out of my tank. I don't have a ton of them in there, but I have a nice piece of manzanita that would be fine with the plants as far as appearance. The rocks are nice, but not at the expense of my water quality. The PH is holding steady at about 7.6 after spiking last weekend to over 8.2.

Thanks-D

Not sure of raising ph but minerals can leech into the water. Although not completely fool proof, if you pour vinegar on the rocks and they don't fizz, it should be okay, generally speaking. Fizzing indicates a compound you don't want in your tank is present.

Not sure of raising ph but minerals can leech into the water. Although not completely fool proof, if you pour vinegar on the rocks and they don't fizz, it should be okay, generally speaking. Fizzing indicates a compound you don't want in your tank is present.

Interesting. Yet another use for good ol vinegar. Thank you. D

I put tons of rocks from the creek in my backyard in my tanks, never had a problem. There is lots of rocks in every body of water.

I put tons of rocks from the creek in my backyard in my tanks, never had a problem. There is lots of rocks in every body of water.

Yes, that's true. Nature has all kinds of things in the water that we probably don't have in our tanks. Thanks, I have some in there now, but I think I'll add more.

If vinegar fizzes when put on a rock it means it can raise ph over time. Rocks that actually have metal in them can indeed leach into water and since an aquarium is a closed system with a small amount of water they can cause a buildup of toxins. Another thing to consider is rocks found in yards have usually been exposed to alot of different chemicals over the years and again they have the possibility of leaching unwanted chemicals into a tank. Poreous rocks are the main offenders but IMO why risk putting something into a tank that could potentially cause harm.

If vinegar fizzes when put on a rock it means it can raise ph over time. Rocks that actually have metal in them can indeed leach into water and since an aquarium is a closed system with a small amount of water they can cause a buildup of toxins. Another thing to consider is rocks found in yards have usually been exposed to alot of different chemicals over the years and again they have the possibility of leaching unwanted chemicals into a tank. Poreous rocks are the main offenders but IMO why risk putting something into a tank that could potentially cause harm.

The good news is that my house is in the country and most of the rocks have never been in town. I agree though, not to take any chances. Most of it looks like a granite type of rock, but then I also have a lot of river rock that I had used to line a pathway around my house.
Thank you for your advice. D

Thanks Cactuspixie! I think now that my plants have grown so much, I really don't need too many rocks anymore. Just a few here and there in strategic spots to make it look natural. I would post a picture of my tank, but for some reason I seem to have problems doing it.

Back
Top Bottom