Metal scraper destroyed my glass!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ahelmes71

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Why do they sell those metal blade-style scrapers for glass tanks? I used one from the local pet chain and royally scratched the heck out of my glass 55 gallon.

Then I tried these "plastic razor blades" I found at a hardware store. Amazingly, those scratched up the glass too! Plastic can scratch glass?!? :banghead:

Finally I found this "Kent Pro-Scraper" online which is very similar to what I used to use...ye olde Credit Card. Just looks like a flat piece of tough red plastic mounted in a handle.

I remember when I was a kid in the `70s my dad had a scraper that was literally a razor blade mounted in a green plastic handle. Guess you just have to be very careful about keeping a good scraping angle when you use metal on glass.

My tank is pretty scratched up now, but when I use the Kent scraper it can somehow get the algae out of the cracks and it looks okay. You can still see the scratches from certain angles though. :nono:

I think you'd almost have to stand a razor blade on edge and drag it with some nice pressure to scratch the glass to any visible degree. I'm almost willing to bet it's an acrylic tank

No, I'm pretty sure this is glass. It is a box-shaped 55 gallon with the metal frame at top and bottom and silicone seams. They don't do that for the acrylic tanks, do they?

I'm gonna go check this out now. You've got me wondering.

ahelmes71 said:
No, I'm pretty sure this is glass. It is a box-shaped 55 gallon with the metal frame at top and bottom and silicone seams. They don't do that for the acrylic tanks, do they?

I'm gonna go check this out now. You've got me wondering.

I use plain old metal blades on my glass tanks with no scratches it must be acrylic

Back
Top Bottom